Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dreamweaver Follow-Up

Yesterday, I tried out Dreamweaver Embossing Paste and Stencils. Today's project combines a couple of different techniques.

I started out by creating a soft blue background using a brayer and Color Box Sky Blue ink.

As I have not mastered the fine art of the brayer yet, I sponged Broken China Distress Ink from Ranger over the brayered background to fill it in and give it some warmth.

I then masked half the background so that the panel was roughly cut in half. I then brayered the unmasked portion with Colorbox Royal Blue to create water.

Now, I was ready to set up my stencil, a sweet swan, by affixing it with removable adhesive to the background. I then masked around the swan so that I didn't inadvertantly get any paste where I didn't want it.

After I filled in the stencil with white embossing paste and removed the excess, I removed the stencil from the piece.

I noticed that the white paste had not quite covered the royal blue of the water. Had I consulted the official directions, I would not have tried to do this combination of techniques or I would have used black embossing paste.

But I was not to be deterred! I decided to make a fix!

To white up the area where the background showed through, I used my favorite Colorbox ink, Frost White. I sponged the ink carefully on the dried paste and presto! No more blue in my swan!

I cut around the completed swan with an oval cutting system.


I used the cutaway piece of the background to make two ripped corners for my card.


I stamped "the rites of Spring" from my Artistic Outpost Serenity plate onto one of the corners. I mounted everything onto a Brilliant Blue card base.

Inspired by Alison's article last week on ribbon use, I used two scraps of white ribbon and added ribbon knots to create some textural interest and to balance the corners.

Voila! The final card:

Rites of Spring
Stamps:
sentiment from Serenity plate (Artistic Outpost)
Cardstock: Brilliant Blue (Stampin Up); watercolor paper
Ink: Royal Blue, Sky Blue and Frost White (ColorBox); Brilliant Blue (Stampin Up); Distress Broken China (Ranger)
Embellishments: white ribbon scraps
Other: White Embossing Paste (Dreamweaver)
Tools: oval cutting system (Creative Memories); swan stencil (Dreamweaver); brayer; sponge

What fun! Have a fabulously creative day! Have you made any Dreamweaver projects? If so, leave a comment with a link to this post. We would love to see your creations!

3 comments:

  1. Holy smoke - that swan looks awesome! You certainly can brayer - this looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Gorgeous! I have many dreamwever stencil pastes and haven't played with them in a while. I think I need to pull them out. Your creations are Fantabulous of course! Shar made them. Your art really is astounding. I keep an eye ;-) on you, I just don't get to comment very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

    Would you let me know if that's OK?

    Thanks,

    Nancy Ward
    http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin