Thursday, March 5, 2009

Overcoming ATC Angst: The Follow-up

Yesterday, I shared that I had trouble creating ATCs. My two previous attempts, Silence Your Inner Critic and What You Do, both took a whole day each. This time commitment seemed a little excessive to me for a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece of paper.


To inspire me and cut down on my creation time, I designed a quick "Build an ATC Checklist" for myself. I was able to do 3 ATCs in a relatively short amount of time. I posted 2 of these yesterday and today I will show you the third one.

So, here goes my checklist again.

1. Select a background. For this project, I picked another background I had prepared using a Technique Junkie technique called Waxy Cuttlebug. I had put in my scrap basket because I wasn't thrilled with the color combination I had used. Everything happens for a reason! The color ended up being a perfect match for one of my collage images.

2. Select a Focal Image. I got out all my stray collage images and looked at them against my background. I found this fabulous image from Enchanted Mercantile's Pretty Woman sheet. She was rather large so I knew I was going to lose quite a bit of the image so I had to consider how I would use her. I decided to focus on the face.

3. Create some texture. The flowers on the image matched the color of the background so closely that I knew I had to palce the extra contrast and texture in such a way to really make them pop rather than have them fade into the background. I decided to use the green of the leaves as a contrast and I placed a strip just behind where the flowers would lie. To make the green strip not so plain, I stamped on it using coordinating ink using a background stamp from Firecracker Designs by Pamela which had soft flowers on it.

4. Add Verbiage...Or Not. To figure out what phrase I wanted to use, I looked to the woman's expression which seemed sort of dreamy. I used a small sentiment, Beautiful Dreamer, from my new set of the same name from Curious by Design.

5. Location, Location, Location. I arranged all the pieces before adherring them down and then trimmed off the excess.

6. Jazz it Up! My first urge was to use some wonderful ribbon on this card, but I didn't want anything to detract from the main image. To add some grounding without being overwhelming, I added 2 black brads to each side of the card.

Beautiful Dreamer ATC
Stamps:
Beautiful Dreamer sentiment from Beautiful Dreamer set (Curious by Design); ATC Art Backgrounds (Firecracker Designs by Pamela)
Collage Image: from Pretty Woman sheet (Enchanted Mercantile)
Cardstock: glossy white; Mellow Moss (Stampin Up)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Groovy Guava, Barely Banana, Rose Red and Purely Pomegranate (Stampin Up)
Embellishments: 4 black brads
Tools: cuttlebug machine, cuttlebug folder, craft iron, and wax paper

And the close-up:

So the fear is gone! By taking out the stress of being stunningly imaginative and giving myself a checklist, I was able to free up brain cells to be somewhat creative. "Stressed" may just be desserts spelled backwards, but I need to avoid both things these days!

Come by on Friday to when we post some of the challenges we have participated in this week!

In the meantime, if you are an ATC novice or a certified masterpiece maker, please drop by the Yahoo Group and post some of your ATC or Moo art. We would love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. This ATC is stunning! The composition is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin