Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Redhead Review: Watercolor Wonder Crayons

In keeping with this month's focus on watercoloring, I'm going to take a look at Watercolor Wonder Crayons by Stampin' Up! for the Redhead Review.

The sets of 12 crayons are packaged in a protective tin and are available in Stampin' Up!'s four color families - Bold Brights, Earth Elements, Rich Regals and Soft Subtles. There is also a smaller set of 6 neutrals.

These highly-pigmented, water soluble crayons can be used for many watercolor techniques. As with most watercoloring methods, you'll get the best results with watercolor paper and I'd recommend a 140lb smooth cold-pressed variety that is available at most craft stores and art supply stores.

Here are a few of the different ways that they can be used in your work. If you are watercoloring a very open image, such as this bird, then you can apply the crayon directly onto the paper and blend with a waterbrush.

You can add multiple colors or shades to the image, just ensure that each layer dries before you apply the next.

If your image is smaller and more detailed, I'd recommend picking up the color directly from the crayons.

If you have a large, detailed image to color I usually scribble the crayon onto the lid and use this as my palette rather than overwork the end of the crayon.

Great color washes can be achieved too by coloring directly on your paper and blending.


And finally, my favorite way to use these crayons is coloring directly onto a solid stamp, misting it with water and stamping. This gives an impressionistic feel to your image.
I give these crayons a definite thumbs up. The features I like are:
  • Their creamy consistency and the fact that they blend really well together.
  • They are a clean and portable way to watercolor.
  • You can exercise a little more control over them than ink or watercolor paints (may be that's the control freak in me coming out!)
  • The range of colors that are available is great.
  • And they last forever. I've had my set for 3 years and haven't even thought of replacing them.
On the other hand, it's worth keeping the following in mind:
  • They are expensive at $19.95 a set.
  • You need to ensure that you clean your brushes well after use because they sometimes leave a residue behind.
  • If handled a lot the crayons can snap, which makes it harder to color with them.
Why not give them a try applying all the watercoloring principals that Sharon showed us last week. Check out those posts here, here and here.

Happy watercoloring!


All supplies are from Stampin' Up! Stamp sets used are A Little Birdie Told Me, Friends 24/7 and Rustic Rooster.

3 comments:

  1. Ali, Ali, Ali! What a great tutorial. I sooo shy away from watercoloring but you sure made it easy. I may just be getting myself some of these crayons!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tutorial, Ali! Now, I feel compelled to get my watercolor crayons out and give them some exercise! Love the background you created. I would not have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and lovely examples!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin