Thursday, April 30, 2009

Salted Backgrounds: A New Angle

We've had lots of fun with watercoloring this month on Gingersnaps and while I still had the paint brushes and supplies out on my craft table, I decided to play with one final technique. I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the salted watercolor background:

Paint a very wet watercolor wash onto watercolor paper, using paints, reinkers, watercolor crayons or whatever medium you prefer. Sprinkle with salt, allow to dry and shake off the salt crystals. The salt absorbs the paint or ink and leaves behind a neat mottled pattern.

I decided to add a twist and sprinkle my washes with other granulated substances that absorb liquid to see what sort of effect they created. It was a lot of fun!

Look at the aged look that instant coffee gives - this piece is waiting on my desk for the perfect project. [note: ground coffee doesn't work].

Cool Aid made a funky background:

Iced tea powder also looked pretty cool.

My favorite of all was using grains of rice - with so many shapes and sizes of rice on the market, this technique has great possibilities.

Here are a few cards that I made with these backgrounds. The first uses the Cool Aid background and I stamped directly onto one of the rice backgrounds on the second card.


If you give this technique a try, leave us a comment with a link to your work. Or we'd love to hear your suggestions for other absorbent materials that could be used with this technique.

Happy stamping!

All images are by Artistic Outpost.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Ali! I can't wait to try out making some of these backgrounds. I especially like the rice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool and these cards are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I came across your site... I'd heard of the salt technique, but the rice was new to me. Your cards turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin