Thursday, May 28, 2009

Try a Technique with Sharon: Master Board

I have seen numerous articles about masterboards, but I had never tried one before. It turns out, it's a lot easier than I thought.

Almost anything goes when making a Master Board, but I like some direction. To focus my attempt, I picked a set of coordinating stamps, Alice in Wonderland from Non Sequitur, for yet another memorable female character. From there, I decided to pick some colors which reminded me of old picture books - faded yellows and oranges.

While you can make your Master Board any size, I decided to use a piece of ivory 12 x 12 cardstock.

One of my favorite images from this set is the White Rabbit. I started with this image and stamped it numerous times in Really Rust. I tried to vary the position of the image on the cardstock and stamped some images partly off the paper.


I next added Tweedledee and Tweedledum in Pumpkin Pie. Again, I tried to place these as randomly as possible. Of course, the human brain doesn't like randomness so inevitably patterns emerge. I tried to purposefully place some images close to the ones I had already stamped to offset this tendency. Again, I stamped the image in a variety of directions and stamped some off the side of the page.


Alice was the next obvious choice!

After that, I added the rest of my images included elements like a crown and a heart. For the heart, I wanted to use a deep orange but it was too strong so I stamped the image once onto a scrap before adding it to the Master Board to make the color not quite so deep.

As I stamped, I tried to fill in the white space but I tried to make sure that I didn't get too fussy about whether the images overlapped or not.

I ended by overstamping "Go Ask Alice" in a Chocolate Chip ink around the page.


I was very happy with the final result and I had a lot of fun using this Master Board to make a set of coordinating cards.



Okay, your turn!

The possibilities are endless. You can make a master board that is inked, chalked, collaged, painted, watercolored, or any other technique that takes your fancy! What fun!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really interesting. I just may have to give that a try! Nice job on those cards ... Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Now that is different. I will definitely have to give this a shot. Veerrryyy interesting! And your cards are awesome!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is such an awesome technique - i can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I never ...

    But I will now!! Off to mamke a masterboard!

    Judy H.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin