Friday, June 19, 2009

Collage Corner: Down Memory Lane

Welcome to my collage corner, a new monthly feature! For the first project, I decided to start with something very basic - a tag album.


Collage can be defined in a number of ways. It can be an assemblage of materials unified by lines and color. It can be a grouping of diverse images or a collection of seemingly unrelated parts. In stamping, collage is done in many different ways.

Sometimes, collage need only be several images stamped together and that's what I did with this quick album. I wanted to focus on a way to play with color and images, a great place to begin for someone just starting out in collage. I didn't even work in embellishments into my album, but some could definitely be added.

This album is an assortment of "seemingly unrelated parts". The unifying theme is "memories" with browns, greens and blues as the unifying colors. No masking. No difficult techniques.


To start the album, I picked some basic headings and selected pictures to accompany them. I then selected appropriately themed stamp sets for each heading. For the cover and one of the internal pages, I used a single image and sentiments and no collage at all.

For the others, I stamped the images randomly on the tag to create a very simple collage effect. I did not mask and did not worry too much about overlapping.

Here's the whole collection:

Once I had the tags created, I wanted to make them look a little more vintage. I sponged a variety of Ranger distress inks on to the tags, starting with Antique Linen followed by Tea Dye, Peeled Paint, Weathered Wood and Vintage Photo, to get an aged look.


I also aged the back of the tags so that the area where the photos were mounted would have a consistent look with their facing pages.


Once, the pieces were sufficiently aged, I resized and cropped my photos using a photo editing program so that they would fit onto the tag and printed them out. For the standard-sized shipping tags I used, the photos had to be approximately 1.75" x 3.5" which made the mattes approximately 2.0" x 3.75".

Here are a couple of the spreads:



On the final tag back, I pasted strips of paper with similar color tones to create a paper collage back cover. When I laid the paper down, I pasted right over the hole and then turned it over and, using a hole punch, punched out the hole using the tag re-enforcement as a guide.

Stamp credits for the images on the tags:
images from the following plates from Oxford Impressions - Distinguished Gentlemen, By the Sea, Country Girl, Field Notes, and School Days; Formal alphabet from My Sentiments Exactly


Tags make great quick albums and are a fun size to fit in a pocket, a purse or on a desk or mantle. These albums are great as grandparent and parent brag books as they can easily be carried around by the proud relative! They are also a good size for mailing.

Hope you enjoyed this quick project! Next month, I will share an altered project which I hope will be a lot of fun!

7 comments:

  1. This is a FANTASTIC project and such a perfect gift - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, fabulous work, you are so imaginative, I look forward to seeing all your creations. I am working on a masterboard that you were so kind to share. And now can't wait to try this technique, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous!! What a beautiful project!! TFS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shar, What a fun easy project for anyone, and a great personal gift. Hey fathers day is right around the corner , hummmm ,good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great blog for crafters of all levels!!!

    Thanks for sharing so many of your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin