I wanted to show the different faces of Col. Mustard so I decided on a tin project. I had a gift card tin that seemed to be a great size for the cards. I want to say everything went smoothly but I really should not have started off on my little collage adventure without rereading some info on prepping. After a couple false starts, I prepped my tin with a couple of coats of gel medium and then a couple coats of Old Brass Lumiere paint.
I used a peeled paint technique from Claudine Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop, which I recently reviewed, to give the cover of the tin an aged appearance.
I used gel medium to attach the image and then covered the portions I didn't want to paint with petroleum jelly, painted over with a couple of lighter colors and then wiped away the jelly. Col. Mustard reappeared from under the paint unscathed. I then went on to create some smaller assemblages.
Inside, I recreated the classic "Col. Mustard in the Conservatory with a Candlestick" scenerio. I used another technique from Collage Discovery Workshop to do a contact paper image transfer of the candlestick and its title. I paired this with the "case file" folder used to hide the solution in the game. I was also able to snag an actual candlestick from the game to further add to the look.
On the inside of the lid, I showed a couple of the more recent faces of Col. Mustard on a backdrop of the conservatory.
The little guy in the right corner is actually from Clue Jr. I added some gold paint over top of these images to antique them a bit and add a little more yellow to my mustard creation.
Hope my take on this classic board game character was up to muster!