Friday, August 21, 2009

Collage Corner: Rainbow Spirit

Queen of the the Last Minute strikes again! I hadn't the faintest idea what this month's Collage Corner was going to be until yesterday! I had so many ideas in my head for what I was going to show you and they all got pushed into the nether realm when I got my August issue of Craft Stamper!


Right on the cover was a stunning bit of artwork so I flipped through the mag and found this great article, "Distressed Couture!" by Rachel Jackson. She shows how to create a fabulous transitioning of color on an image with a matching background using distress inks.


As per usual, I followed "most" of the instructions and combined it a bit with my love of creating stamped collage backgrounds to come up with today's project.

You will need:
glossy cardstock
Ranger Distress Inks in a variety of colors
1 craft sheet or as Rachel suggests a piece of foil
a water spritzer
a heat tool if desired


To start out, spread out your craft sheet. Mine always rolls up on me, so I put a few paper clips on the edges to keep it flat. Dab each Distress ink pad down on the craft sheet a couple of times, slightly overlapping. Inspired by Ali's great Rainbow Color Challenge this month, I pulled out the brighter rainbow colors from my Distress Ink drawer.

I love Ranger Distress Inks for their color convergence properties. Once you are satisfied with your color scheme, mist the inks a little with water to start that lovely convergence going.


Then, you want to use your inked craft sheet to ink up a stamp. Take the image you want as your focal point and press it right into the middle of your Distress Ink puddle. Fabulous! Now, stamp it on some glossy cardstock. It might pool slightly, so you can use your heat tool to dry it out or be, unlike me, patient and let it dry naturally.



Rachel is completely brilliant! As she demonstrates in the article, she makes sure to use up all that lovely ink still sitting on the sheet to make a coordinating background. Press a piece of glossy cardstock right on top of your puddle to make yours. I precut my cardstock to be the same size as a card front to save time! Lift and press the cardstock down again if desired to use up all of that lovely ink!

Here is where I veered off into Sharonland. I created a simple stamped collage on the background piece and trimmed and matted the focal image.


I really loved the resulting artwork and would highly recommend trying it as it is a quick and easy way to make a sensational looking card. Kudos to Rachel Jackson for this one! On this side of the Atlantic, it takes a little while for Craft Stamper to become available at my local bookstore so I am an issue behind, but what an issue it was!! If you haven't checked out this magazine yet, I would definitely recommend picking up a copy at your local stamp store or bookstore.

Rainbow Spirit
Stamps: Gibson girl, lace, script, flourish and central plant image (Above the Mark); spirit (OnyxXpressions)
Cardstock: glossy cardstock (Stampland Chicago - available in packs of 25...yummy); Chocolate Chip (Stampin Up)
Ink: Broken China, Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick, Scattered Straw, Peeled Paint and Vintage Photo (Ranger Distress Inks)
Tools: heat tool, corner rounder, craft sheet

Okay, who's next?

16 comments:

  1. Shar, this is stunning! What a wonderful idea to make the coordinating collage background - it's amazing. I just got myself some new, brighter distress inks, so I'll have to give it a try (Sharonland looks like a fun place!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I posted earlier, but..... I love techniques so couldn't wait to try this one. I discovered that I need more solid stamps. I've posted my first completed attempt (I have several pieces of other attempts!)...
    my card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous creation...this is one of my favest messy inky techniques!! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just way cool, thanks for sharing...I gotta try that later...both results are FAB. Will have to look for that mag, never saw it before your post. Great stamping GF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with this technique, great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing technique! I love this. I am back here regularly to check out your blog. Full of creativity and ideas. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the how to. I had done the background but never thought to stamp it! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I just had to try this, and it worked out for the Rainbow challenge too, thanks to you Shar!
    http://iwork4stamps2.blogspot.com/2009/08/by-sea.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, Shar~you nailed this techqnie. Wowzie!! I LOVE it!!! Soooo beautiful and you're an angel for sharing!!!

    Stamp Hugs,

    Kathie McGuire

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is a gorgeous piece of artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is beautiful, going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very cool. I need to go try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This card is gorgeous Sharon, I will definitely try this out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin