Monday, September 21, 2009

Collage Corner: Sign of the Times

I love to make wall hangings and signs. Most are a bit smaller than the one I worked on today but it sort of evolved and just went with it.

I have had an insanely busy few weeks so I decided to have some fun but simple with paper today. I started out by picking out a fun collage image from Enchanted Mercantile of a vintage advertisement for an old Mary Pickford movie, My Best Girl. I love old movies and I always loved the silent pictures with Mary Pickford. She's Canadian, eh, just like me.


Even though I originally pulled out my Screen Sirens collage sheet to work on a movie star collage, I decided instead to be inspired by an idea in the movie. I especially like Mary in this movie because she is a plucky stock girl - a modern working woman albeit modern circa the late 1920s. I decided to run with the idea of "the working woman" retro and give it a modern twist.


From there, I turned to my collection of "Girl Friday" papers and embellishments from Cosmo Cricket. I figured out which ones I wanted and seemed to settle on office related images - telephones, staplers and scissors. I cut out a few blocks from the Girl Friday Elements page.


I worked out where I wanted to fit the main bits and pieces - the border quote, the collage image, the telephone and the shoes. Once I got that in place, I checked out the Girl Friday sticker sheet again and added some more office elements onto a black strip from that collection. To finish off the black strip, I used my spiral punch to give it that "office look".

From the papers, I chose a nice salmon loose-leaf paper pattern on the flip-side of the Girl Friday Monday paper and a quote from the Girl Friday Borders paper.


I put the border down first and then trimmed one edge with some salmon ribbon.

I then adhered my collage image, paper elements and sticker strip.

It still looked a little bare so I added a vellum quote that I liked and a couple of dimensional stickers as well as a heart-shaped paper clip. To finish off, I also added rhinestones to the left edge.

Here's the finished hanging:

Not Your Average Girl
Collage Image: Mary Pickford from Screen Sirens (Enchanted Mercantile)
Paper: Monday, Elements, and Borders from Girl Friday Collection (Cosmo Cricket); Number paper from Studio Basics 101 (Creative Imaginations)
Cardstock: generic black; poster board for base of hanging
Other: sentiment from Nature and Inspiration Vellum Quote Stack(DCWV); office element stickers from Girl Friday collection (Cosmo Cricket); heart-shaped paper clip; Paper Bliss tulip dimensional adhesive accent (Westrim Crafts); one of a kind epoxy sticker from Narratives line (Creative Imaginations); adhesive rhinestones from Marcella by K line (K & Company); 2 hot pink eyelets; salmon ribbon from Morning Meadow collection (sei)
Tools: Crop-a-dile; Spiral punch (Stampin Up)
Adhesive: Glossy Accents (Ranger); Tombo; double-sided tape (Stampin Up)

What I love about collage is that it is such an organic process for me. I can start with one picture which brings to mind some embellishments or some interesting patterned paper I have lying around and it can all come together into a piece that is a surprise even to me at the end.

So have some fun today and let your art take you on its own journey!

4 comments:

  1. What a fab sign! I wonder where you're going to hang it? Thanks for showing how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely fantastic. I love the retro look and how you have captured the colours perfectly. That spiral border punch is fab. I have never seen one like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, so much detail and love the layers hun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Did you have a room in mind when you made it? It's so darn pretty you gotta hang it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin