Friday, September 4, 2009

Collage Jewelry: Altered Spoon Tutorial by Lynn Stevens

My name is Lynn Stevens. I reside in Idaho with my DH and two fur babies. Art has always been a part of my life. My favorite being Mixed Media, Altered Art and Stamping. I love to try new things and hope to share what I learn with all of you. I am a Guest Designer for Gingersnap Creations, Artistic Outpost and I Brake for Stamps.

A few safety tips before we start. Work in an area that's safe. This is not for children. We are working with flame and heat up to 1000%, so keep fingers and hands away from heat. Wear safety glasses when using a cutting wheel. So, let's get started!

Items you will need - Small spoon; burnsamatic hand held tourch or propane torch or jewelers torch; a tourch tip for the heat source; two long handled needle nose pliers; container of cool water; dremmel tool with cutting wheel or jewelers saw or small saw for cutting off end; misc jewelry findings: pearls, charms, glass pebbles, collage images,etc.; Diamond glaze or resin; and steel wool. Begin by holding spoon with pliers over blue flame of heat source, depending on what your spoon is made of silver, gold plate, stainless steel will vary the heating time. I usually start with 20 to 30 seconds. Remove from heat and with both pliers begin to bend spoon approxmitely 1/2" from spoon area. If it does not bend easily, place back in flame.

Continue to heat and bend until spoon almost touches along back.


When the spoon is bent all the way, place in container of water. This is called "quenching" and will cool it instantly for handling.

The next step requires a cut off wheel on a dremmel or a jewelers saw or any small hand held saw. Cut off excess end of spoon. Be sure to wear eye protection if your using a cut off wheel!

Now place back in flame, holding with pliers.

Remove from heat and continue to bend all the way over.

Quench again before handeling. You can clean any discoloration with steel wool, just gently buff area clean.

Now the FUN begins, decide what you want to place in your spoon!

Add a small amount of Diamond glaze or resin,set your embellishments in the area and add more diamond glaze. Do not over fill,you dont want to cover your items,just hold them in place.

Now set aside to dry. This could take several hours, You may need to prop up the end so glaze won't spill.

Some finished pieces. Wouldn't these make great Christmas gifts? So start creating and share with us what you make!

Here's the finished piece. I attached a bird charm to the bottom to finish it off and added a leather choker. If you like it, leave a comment at the end of this post. I will be giving away the necklace as Blog Candy. I will use the number generator on Sep. 10th to draw the winner. Be sure we have a way to contact you. Good Luck!!!

Created by Lynn Stevens
http://www.trashtotreasureart.blogspot.com/

34 comments:

  1. WOW!! This is fantastic!!! I will go to make all my cuttlery into necklaces !!! Thank you so much for that great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! I love this, but scary!!!
    who'd have thought spoons could be so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial, Lynn. These are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thought of this scares me to pieces!! I wouldnt dare trust my self, I make a pigs ear of things with a heat gun! lol
    What fabulous results though. LOVE these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievably beautiful! What a fabulous tutorial, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow amazing creations...thank you so much for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Lynn, these are exquisite! Thanks for the wonderfully detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWZA Lynn, this is amazing, beautiful, marvelous, shall I go on!! I could you know. Thanks so much for the tut. You make it look easy enuf for me to even try it, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous tutorial Lynn - unfortunately the only bits I have at the moment to be able to make something so beautiful are the spoon and some cold water! So maybe one day I'll have a go but not today.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tut Lynn...I'll give it a try this afternoon when I'm doing some Lampwork in my studio...Thanks for sharing, very good directions, xoxo~Kathy~ @Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial, Lynn! You make it look so easy and your finished pieces are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I'd be sure to set my acrylic nails on fire then goodness there goes the whole house. Lynn I want to come play with you! Dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynn,these are beautiful! I'm going to gather up supplies I need to make this,try to find some courage to go with the supplies,and hopefully try one of these soon. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my this is devine!! I'm a bit scared of the heat tool but your tutorial really wants to make me go out and have a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynn, Fab tutorial, and I have a pile of spoons waiting to be altered! Feel a "please , can I borrow..." coming to my Husband..lol
    Thank you for the opportunity to win your gorgeous piece
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kitty said...
    Those are the prettiest pieces of jewelry made
    from spoons that I think I have ever seen.
    Makes me wonder why I am fooling around making the kind of jewelry I make.
    I know you will have a lot of followers trying to follow your instructions. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great piece of art/jewelry Lynn! The tutorial is wonderful and explains the process very clearly...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just discovered your blog via Stampsmith, and am so happy I did! I have been browsing, and absolutely love the altered spoon.
    Thanks!
    Eileen
    eyeleeeen@optonline.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, these are fantastic!! Who knew a simple spoon could be turned into something so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing these wonderful creations, and tutorial, with us.

    Sue_W.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for this post. I had made my daughter the wire nest with three pearls and was trying to find a good way to make it into a necklace. This is a wonderful idea. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are awesome! Thank you for liking to this from SCS! Such a unique idea! Look out spoons! Oh my what will we eat our soup with now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That is stunning! I gonna have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOWZERS!!!! I have altered the odd spoon or five in my crafty history but never ever would have thought to make them into jewellry....what an amazing idea..thanks for sharing this brill tutorial...tis inspiring! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!! Your jewelry is absolutely gorgeous Lynn!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for putting this tutorial on your site. I have a ton of old silverware I bought with the intention of making jewelry out of it. You have given me a great start. Withut a soube the best directions I have seen on internet.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    Contact me here if you have a concern.

    Jane
    http://diylessons.org/

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome! The instructions especially about annealing is helpful. I will feature/link in a future post so others can come visit. Pearl
    http://www.beadinggem.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you so much for this tutorial! it is really helpfull! I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cool! I make pendant like this using bezel trays but yours are so unique, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent tutorial and a lovely finished piece, thank you for sharing your time and your talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing this with us!!! I will be trying this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Will diamond glaze hold if it gets wet?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin