Saturday, September 5, 2009

September Home Page Art Winner

The votes are in and after a close race, Lynn Stevens has won our Gingersnap Creations September Home Page Art Contest! What a beautiful creation, Lynn!

Our theme for our September Home Page Art contest was "Apples". Of course, with September, comes that "Back to School" fresh Fall feeling which I think Lynn captured wonderfully with a vintage slate.

School Days - Stamp credits: Oxford Impressions

I had the opportunity to talk to Lynn about her wonderful mixed media piece.

Lynn gave me some insight on how she created the project:
"All the images were from Oxford Impressions!! I Love their stamps!!! I painted and distressed the number with acrylic paint. It was a shiny gold to begin with and I knew that wouldn't do. The images themselves were stamped on glossy paper with distress inks. I used white stazon ink on the chalk board itself so it would come off. I first tried white pigment ink and it smeared."

I just had to ask about where Lynn had found the wonderful slate that she used as the base of the beautiful project. She told me:
"Believe it or not I found this old slate at a thrift store. I think it was a buck!! I love checking thrift stores, yard sales and antique stores for unusual objects to use in my art. I picked up a bunch of wooden nickels and the ruler at an antique show. The pen nibs - a box of old ones for $5.00 at a thrift store. I hadn't really done much with the school stamps until I found the board and a idea popped into my head and well here it is!"

While we were on the topic of school, I asked Lynn if she had any cherished memories of her own school days. She shared:
"My favorite teachers were, of course, my Art teachers in Junior High and High school. I was voted Artist of the Year in High School (blush). My High School teacher was a kinda hippie surfer looking dude back then. He would play Bob Dillon tapes all through class. He was so cool!!! Swoon... I think I had a secret crush on him all through school!!"

As this piece was for September, I asked Lynn about the upcoming Autumn season. She told me:
"My favorite part of Autumn is the colors. Love the peach, gold, yellow, rust, orange and red tones. We have a huge yard and I have filled it with lots of trees and plants that turn the most beautiful colors in the Fall. I love to decorate my home with all the Fall colors as well. Old fruit baskets of fall leaves with faux apples, pinecones. berries. Okay, just the thought of it makes me want to pull it all out now!!"

Lynn's art can be seen on her blog, Trash to Treasure Art, where she daily astounds me with her creativity!

The last time we talked to Lynn was in early August. Since then, she has been published in the Sept/Oct issue of Stamper's Sampler, the Autumn 2009 Take Ten, and the Sept/Oct issue of Somerset Studios. Lynn will also be the Featured Artist for the month of September for The Latest Trends in Mixed Media Art. Way to go, Lynn!!!

Yesterday, Lynn posted her first tutorial to Gingersnap Creations as our new contributing artist! If you haven't had a chance to check out her amazing demonstration on how to transform spoons into magical pieces of jewelry, you can see it here.

Lynn's art will remain on the home page of the Yahoo Group and on the sidebar of the Gingersnap Creations blog until October 2, 2009. On the 4th, we'll show you who won October's contest!


The runner-up this month was such a beautiful piece, we wanted to share it with everyone as well! The wonderfully talented Stef contributed this lovely, warm slice of Fall flavor!


To see more of Stef's art, visit her at Glitterbabe Greetings where there's always something new to see!

Stef is on several design teams including Squigglefly, Flutter By Wednesdays at Danni's Dreams, Sophisti-cat Challenges and the soon to be open Stamping Boutique.

Missed this month's contest?

We already have October's Home Page Art Contest underway! The theme for October is "Spooky". Get your ghoul on and come and play with us!

This contest is open to all Gingersnappers, our Yahoo Group Members. Want in on the fun? Join the Yahoo Group today!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lynn - an awesome piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn your work is fantastic!!! congrats!!!
    ps. Stef your card is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just lurve this piece!
    Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well deserved win, an original piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these pieces are wonderful! Lynn, thanks for sharing your process with us... love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stef ,this is so cute, congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What a fantastic piece - I need to get myself to the thrift store!

    Both of these pieces are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin