Thursday, October 15, 2009

Redhead Review: Nature Inspired

I recently read Nature Inspired by mixed-media artist Tracie Lyn Huskamp. The book contains a selection of mixed-media techniques to celebrate nature in your art. It truly is a delight for the eyes!
The first section of the book provides readers with tips for photographing nature and making prints from botanicals, including an interesting flower pounding technique. Huskamp devotes several informative pages to collecting and preserving different specimens, such as flowers, shells and branches, to name a few.

Chapter Two contains a clear outline of the author's methods for sketching and painting her signature birds on canvas and fabric. And finishes with a lovely selection of distressing and background techniques.

If the four detailed projects in Chaper Three don't have you clammering to get into your studio, the ensuing twenty three page gallery will. It is filled with rich, layered fabric journals that you just want to reach into the page and touch.

I was completely transfixed by Huskamp's nature assemblages. As I look out the window right now, I can see the rich colors of Fall everywhere. And these are what inspired the shadow box below.

The substrate is the cover of an old book layered with a piece of sheet music, a vintage envelope and a stamp tag. A dried leaf from my garden and a nest with eggs finish off the assemblage.

With the holiday season approaching, this would make a lovely gift for a creative friend or yourself! And if you are inspired by nature too, check out Jean's leaf printing post - you'll love it!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I'll have to check this book out as I am always looking for new ways to incorporate some nature into my art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Ali! This is an amazing project! I will most certainly this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your chatty and informative review, and your shadow box is just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous shadow box, Ali! I will definitely check out this book... I'm always wondering how to preserve natural elements - this looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Gosh Ali. I missed this somehow. It is Gorgeous! I Love nature inspired work and this is so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin