Monday, November 30, 2009

Collage Corner: Color and Texture

Today, I decided to not only create a collage effect with images but also with texture to make some hangings for the upcoming Christmas season.

The craziness of the holiday season tends to make me yearn for simpler times and simpler things. I decided for this month's Collage Corner, I would give you a simple and fast project.

Quick to do, color collages can be quite attractive and create pleasing blend of images. To find out more about making Color Collages and using many other fabulous techniques, check out the Technique Junkies newsletter. I used shades of caramel, green and brown to create two 4" x 4" collaged panels for my hangings.

To create an interesting field of color and texture to center these panels on, I turned to my stash of Paper Temptress papers. I knew I wanted to replicate the main colors of the collage - green, red and the underlying white - so I looked in my Christmas Sampler Pack.


To get different textures, I chose Green Plastic, Red Crepe Ruche and Solar White Classic Column. The combination gave me rich colors with a soft glossy look, a natural rough texture and the pretty stripes of the Classic Column. I love the interplay of papers with such different characters!
I ran all the different panels through my Xyron machine to make sure that I got full coverage with my adhesive. The final white layer I adhered to cardboard panels to provide the finished product with a little more weight to help it hang properly.

Here are the finished results:


Joyous Noel Pair
Stamps: Winter Snow and Season of Giving (Oxford Impressions)
Cardstock: white glossy; green plastic, red ruche, solar white classic column (PaperTemptress); thin cardboard
Ink: Hunter Green, Garden Green, Creamy Caramel, Real Red (Stampin Up); Antique Linen (Ranger Distress Inks)
Embellishments: 4 gold eyelets; 5/8" white organdy ribbon
Tools: Xyron machine; Crop-a-dile

Why not try your hand at your own holiday hangings using this simple technique? We'd love to see what you create if you do!

We hope you join us tomorrow when we start De-Stressing the Holidays and have fun with some great distress techniques and holiday projects, including creations for both Christmas and Chanukah!

4 comments:

  1. how the heck are ya? hope all is well. oh, i've been watching - just not commenting. so much to do, so little time - you know how it goes.

    these are absolutely fabulous! vintage yet modern. i just love them.

    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. These may be quick and simple, but they certainly pack a punch. They are beautiful and would look fabulous in any home during the holidays!! Thanks for sharing this great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous ART...so inspiring x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab projects and perfect for the holidays. I don't like to decorate much except for the trees however something like this would be ideal. Thanks again for the incredible inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin