Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cooking Up an Accordian Album

Yesterday, I reviewed Cookbooking by Barbara Winkler and showed off a creation inspired by the projects in this fun book. Today, I would like to show you how I made it.


Materials Needed:

1 - 12" x 12" piece of cardstock
1 - 12" x 12" piece of designer paper
5 - 8.5" x 11" pieces or 2 12x12 pieces of cardstock
* I used two pieces of green, 2 pieces of red and 1 piece of burgundy
4 pieces of opaque vellum (laser-friendly)
desired stamp and collage images
various inks
ribbon
glue stick or other adhesive
bone folder

Step 1: Creating the Accordian Album

Start with a piece of 12" x 12" cardstock and cut it into two equal pieces, each 12" x 6".

Fold the first piece in half and flatten edge with a bone folder.

Fold again in the opposite direction, making the open edge touch the middle fold and making a mountain fold to oppose the valley fold you just made. Repeat with other half of the paper and then repeat the entire process with the second piece of cardstock.

You should end up with two accordians that measure 6" x 3" when folded shut. Interlace the two accordians to create a larger album. I adhered the two sides together with a glue stick ensuring that I maintained the pattern of the folds.


Step 2: Create the Inner Panels

I cut 12 panels from the cardstock, 5.75" x 2.75" in size, from the cardstock. I used Jupiter Red Metallic and Emerald Metallic cardstock from PaperTemptress, cutting 6 of each color. I loved look of these two shimmering cardstocks. I then cut my designer paper, Wreath from Kaisercraft, into 4 strips of 12 x 3. I then cut these strips into 12 rectangles of 3.5" x 3". These pieces of paper make up the pockets for the recipe tags to sit in.

The Pocket

I like things that do not require a ton of measuring. To start, I put the paper face down on my work surface. You should be looking at the rectangle so that it is wider than it is tall. I then folded over the "top" edge to form lip, about 1/4" deep. Then I placed my cardstock panel approximately in the middle of the rectangle.



My next folds were to fold the desiger paper rectangle around the edges of the cardstock panel. I ran my bone folder over the edges to make them more crisp and then opened the folds up again. My next fold was to fold the "bottom" around the panel. Again, I smoothed the fold with a bone folder and opened up the folds again.


At this point, I took my scissors and snipped the corners off the bottom of the pocket so that it would sit nice and flat underneath the panel. Use the folds as a guide as to where to cut.



Voila, a pocket!! I applied the glue stick to the cardstock, set the pocket in place as it was when I folded the tabs. Next, I pressed the pocket tabs down into the glue to hold them flat. I then ran my bone folder over these tabs, further flattening them into the glue. Finally, I added more glue to the edges of the tabs and pressed the finished panel down onto the accordian album.

So that I did not need to measure every single pocket, I simply lined up the one I was working on with a completed one before doing the final bottom fold.

Once, I had glued down all the panels, I created two panels from a third carstock to be used on the front and back cover of the book. My base paper for the covers was a wonderful leather-look paper called Cordovan Leather from the PaperTemptress. The texture is subtle but very attractive.


Step 3: Create the Recipe Tags

For this part of the album, I used simple shipping tags. They matched the light tan I had chosen for the base cardstock and the accent color in the flourishes on the designer paper.

I gathered up my Old Paper, Tea-Dye, Fired Brick and Pine Needles Distress inks from Ranger. I used the Old Paper ink and the ATC collages from the Holiday Collections set and an element from the Reindeer Flight set - all Stampers Anonymous - to create a subtle pattern on one side of each tag. To this pattern, I added a tea-dye flourish (from the Take Flight set), green trees and red snowflakes (both from the Reindeer Flight set) to create a simple color collage. I finished off each tag with a piece of ribbon.

For the other side of the tag, I stamped a reindeer image, also from Stampers Anonymous' Reindeer Flight set, in Tea-Dye distress ink.

Step 4: Adding the Recipes

I created a word processing document with a landscape orientation and 3 vertical columns. I the typed my selected recipes into this format, one recipe per column. I printed these recipes on digital vellum paper from PaperTemptress. I particularly like this vellum because it is more opaque than other ones I have encountered and it can be printed on so easily. The opaque quality allows the writing on the paper to still be easily visible even if there is a pattern behind or, as I did here, stamping on the other side.

I stamped snowflakes and flourishes on the underside of the recipes. I then accordian-folded the recipes (what else?) and attached them to the backside of the tags with Tombo vellum adhesive. You can see the reindeer on the tag ever so slightly through the vellum and there's just a hint of snowflakes ad flourishes visible. A very pleasing effect!


Step 5: The Covers

As I mentioned, I chose an elegant burgundy leather-look paper, Cordovan Leather, from the PaperTemptress. I applied stickers (typewriter keys), dimensional embellishments (game piece letters) and some collage pieces from Crafty Secrets and Artchix. My final touch was to add a piece of gold ribbon which is adhered to one cover only (this is important if you ever want to open your album) with double-sided tape.




The whole thing was quite fun to put together and now I have a keepsake and a decoration for the upcoming holiday season! I hope you try this fun project, adding your own details and style!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tutorial Shar! What a great way to savor our special times! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin