Friday, December 11, 2009

Distressing....A Tutorial...From Hels Sheridan

A very Good Morning to you all!

Please be kind to me...this is the first time I have done a Tutorial for the Gingersnaps so I am a little nervous :O)) Today I am going to be talking about my favourite crafty style which is Distressing. The beauty of Distressing your art is that you can make it delicately vintage looking right through to totally grungey, depending on your own style and preferences. I use Distress Inks on most of the art that I make. In one form or another, they are, I believe, some of the most versatile inks on the market. As well as using Distress Inks for your art, you can incorporate Distress Embossing Powders (we will look at that in a mo) add Cracklepaints and Distress Stickles and use an Edger to distress up the edges of the pieces you make. This makes them look old and a bit worn...like a well loved teddy bear.

I have done two projects to show you two basic methods for distressing. I will start with my favourite techniques and base to use, which is a tag. For this tag I have used several Distress Ink colours and some Tim Holtz stamps...I will make a list at the end of the pics of the colours I have used - and I have written on each photo what you need to do to create the effect...so if they are a little hard to read, please click on the photo, this will make into a large screen for you :O))


Step 1


Step 2


Step 3


Step 4


Step 5



Step 6



Step 7



Step 8


Finished Tag:




The ingredients for this tag are:
Antique Linen Distress Ink
Frayed Burlap Distress Ink
Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink....all of these are for the background
Pine Needles Distress Ink for the Tree Stamp
Walnut Stain for the Sentiment and the Birds Stamps
Brushed Corduroy for the Clock Stamp
Rock Candy Cracklepaint in patches for emphasis
Garden Jute with a teensy crown for embellishment



For this next project, I have used Distress Inks with Distress Embossing Powders aswell as blending the inks to make faded backgrounds on the cardbase. As before, I have written on each of the photo's what to do...so if you click on each image you should be able to read it more easily.

Step 1



Step 2




Step 3


Step 4


Step 5




Finished Card:


The ingredients used for this card are:
Distress Inks - Pine Needles for stamping
Peeled Paint for Blending
Shabby Shutters Distress Embossing Powder
Holly stamp - Tim Holtz collection
Pine Tree and Believe stamps by Hearts In Touch from Christmas Plate
Garden Jute and a mini tree charm

As you can see, Distress Inks give a really good look to most projects. When you flick water at a Distress Inked surface, they are repelled by it, so you have pools and splodges appear, which make a piece of art look old and slightly shabby. However, as you can see with the card, I didn't flick water at this one and it just looks blended. Distress Inks are great to paint with too, swipe your ink pad onto the craftsheet and use a waterbrush to pick up the colour. Then, just paint onto your image. You can make the colours darker or lighter depending on how much water you mix with them. The very nature of Distress Inks makes them stay wet for longer, so if you are wanting to emboss with them, they are very forgiving. You can use any kind of embossing powders with them...I prefer to use either clear or the Distress Embossing powders.

I could wax lyrical all day about how much I love to distress my art...but I don't want to bore you all...and I hope you have enjoyed this little tutorial on how to make your art look distressed.

Thanks for reading and I would love to see what art you make using these techniques... you can find me HERE .....Hels x

17 comments:

  1. Great tutorial, well done. I am sure there will be many more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tute and thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial, Hels!!! Those projects are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tutorial! Thanks for sharing your fabulous process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic tutorial, well done!!!!!! Here's hoping for more in the future. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hels, you did a bang up job, Great tutorial filled with inspiring art! See no need to be nervous at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tutorial Hels... well done missus xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Tutorial.. love all the elements on the tag and card :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hels,
    Great job and wonderful projects. The only thing I would say is I found it a bit difficult to read the instructions on the images but it is a fantastic tutorial and one I will defintely be trying out! TFS
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant tutorial Hels - loved all the step by step images & TFS a few fabby techniques. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future :-))
    Hugs
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous tutorial, Hels - you've inspired me to get out my Distress Inks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super tut GF, Tim better run, Hels is movin' in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pure Genius Hels, you are a master of distressing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. a fantastic tutorial Hels and what great results, your arts amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments...bless you all x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hels awesome tutorials and beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin