Saturday, December 26, 2009

Debby Boltman: Gilded Paper

"Gilding is the decorative technique of applying fine metallic-leaf or powder to solid surfaces such as wood, stone, or metal."

Gilded Paper is one of my most favorite techniques. Very easy to do with very elegant and fun results. Results will vary based on thickness of inks used and drying time before applying your "metallic-leaf" (embossing powders).

First, I cut a few pieces of kraft cardstock.



Crumple the cardstock and unfold it but don’t flatten out the wrinkles.



Rub your black ink using direct to paper across the cardstock. Thick inks work best for this.



Cover or dip into black embossing powder and completely melt the powder.



Allow to cool and apply your gold ink across the wrinkles using a slightly lighter hand than with the black ink. Don’t completely cover the black embossing.



Dip or cover cardstock with gold embossing powder and heat until melted. You want to over melt the gold powder so it melts into the black embossing powder. I recommend wearing a mask if you are senstitive to embossing powders.



This makes a great background for a card or a great embellishment for cards and scrapbook pages.






Playing with paints and inks for my image. I first dabbed gold paint on the image, rubbed off a bit with a paper towel and then added black ink on top. This added a great subtle gold highlight to different parts of the image. If you do this, be sure to clean your stamp and brushes immediately.




My final piece, using some gilded paper as a background. Have fun playing and do share your creations!


Supplies used:
Papers
Paper Temptress Brown Bag Cardstock
Paper Temptress Nero Incandescent
Embossing Powders
Stampin’ Up – gold and black embossing powders
Inks
Brilliance Graphite Black
Brilliance Galaxy Gold
India Ink Black
Adirondack Gold Acrylic Paint Dabber
Embellishments
Prima
Stamps
Hearts In Touch #135 Love

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful tutorial, Debby! Such an elegant look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous results--will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Debby, Gorgeous. I have never tried this. Thanks for sharing such a cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card, Debby! Great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this technique. I've seen this before but not the added of gold. I will have to try this myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very kewl affect,will use it, so thanks in advance. Happy New Year GF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. neat tech, definitely on my to do list - tfs

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh - this is ever so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! This looks so great and I'm going to have to give this a try! Gorgeous card and idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice! have bookmarked in my tute folder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. It means a lot to me. I would love to see what you create! I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and able to spend some quality time creating ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tutorial Debby...I can't wait to try it. You card is fantastic!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. fabulous technique, just my cup of tea, i shall be trying this at some point
    hugs June

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin