Sunday, January 17, 2010

Resisting It...A Tutorial From Hels Sheridan

Hi there,

I am really lucky... today I get the chance to talk to you about one of my fave techniques and had a lot of fun making some samples to show you :O)) For those who haven't heard of the Resist Technique before, I hope that you will be able to pick up some tips and then be able to go and make some art using this...if you have already used the technique...there is something for everyone 'cos I have done three different techniques which introduces us to basic Resist, Batik and then Gesso Resist.

I will start with the basic Resist...and as before, I have taken pics along the way and typed the instructions over the top of the photo **if you can't read them, please just click on the photo to enlarge it**


BASIC RESIST TECHNIQUE: This gives a "resist" look for your stamping.


STEP 1



STEP 2



STEP 3



FINISHED CARD: All stamps used are from Serendipity Stamps.


I have used Distress Inks for my projects but you can use other dye based inks and pigment inks too...just be sure that if you use pigment inks that you wipe away the excess inks quickly before they set over the embossed image. I use a paper towel dampened with water or a baby wipe, depending on how much ink needs to be removed.



BATIK TECHNIQUE: A little more indepth but you get great results...this technique uses a hot iron so please do take care if you try this method :O))

INGREDIENTS:


STEP 1


STEP 2


STEP 3



STEP 4



STEP 5


TIPS



FINISHED CARD: You can see that the colours really pop on this card..and the Batik effect is really effective even with the most delicate of stamps. Again, all stamps used are from Serendipity Stamps. If you don't have a craft or travel iron you can use your home iron, just remember to turn off the steam setting and then clean it before you iron your clothes :O) As ever, when using HOT items...please take lots of care and work on a protective craft sheet or a wad of paper to protect your work area surface.





GESSO RESIST TECHNIQUE: Finally, I am going to ue Gesso as a resist. You can also use Acrylic Paint to do this too. I have found that Gesso is a bit tougher than paint though so you can ink over it more and it is more accommodating with the inks and tends to stain less.

INGREDIENTS:



STEP 1



STEP 2


STEP 3



STEP 4





STEP 5



STAMPING OVER THE TOP!




FINISHED HANGING PIECE: As you can see, I cannot help but make something hangy :O)) I used a selection of stamps from the Tim Holtz range and a Crackley background too. I added a few wire and metal things to finish the piece, along with some bead fringing.


I do hope that you enjoyed looking at this tutorial and have found some helpful ideas and tips ... please can you leave me a comment for some feedback...this is now my second tutorial...so I am still very much a beginner :O))

Thanks for looking...have fun making ART!

Hels x

**Edit ... Thanks to those of you who spotted the "deliberate" mistake...I had popped the wrong pic in for Step 4 on the Gesso Technique...tis remedied now LOL**

28 comments:

  1. Hels,that is brilliant!!!
    Thanx soo much,I'm still learning new techniques,so that was very helpful :o)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gesso resist technique, must try it and as I don't (need to) iron many of my clothes, shouldn't be too much of a problem with the iron, lol.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hels, I haven't sen the gesso resist before. I have stamped with acrylic but not used gesso resist. Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! fabulous tutorials Hels, especially the gesso resist.....I have a huge tub of gesso just waiting to be played with :D Love all your examples & those serendipity stamps are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very helpfull thank you, I have never seen the iron or the gesso one before, so that's another couple to try.
    I have been trying the image transfer technique, sadly I haven't mastered that yet, do you have any tip for that...

    Thank's for sharing.....
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clear tutorial, and stunning projects!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. think I will have a go at these..havent heard of the gesso one..they all look really good thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments :O))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab! Fab! and fab! again, never tried the last two so will give them a go xxx Thanks Hels xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning pieces, Hels! So, I learned two new things - the entire gesso technique (awesome by the way) and what to call my favorite style of embossing (batik). Fabulous tutorial with great information and wonderfully clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant tutes Hels and your projects are beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tutorial, Hels, and gorgeous results!! Thanks so much for all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial, Hels and fab crafting, as usual - will give this a try x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really great tutorial. The instructions are so clear. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done tutorial with fabulous cards as the results!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOU ROCK Hels!!!! Love Love LOve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab tutorial, must get round to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful Hels. A great turorial and reminder of some fun resist techniques.I've never tried with gesso before, your so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you again...you are all most kind with your lovely comments...am as pleased as punch now...*whomever punch is or was LOL*

    Hels x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous work, Hels! The tutorials are so informative and the end results heavenly - way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very nice tutorial. nice clear pix and well written. hope to see more of these on your blog.
    Thanx
    debbi in Illnois

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful projects! I will have to try this later.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous tutorial Hels - really clear and easily understandable. Loved the results you produced and can't wait to have a go myself. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  24. YOU are so good GF! Hugs to you for going out of your way for us on these lovely "tuts", you did a FAB job. I'm with Lynn here, I don't think I've ever done the gesson like this, but shall give it a big try! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great tutorial Hels!!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these techniques!! Such a fantastic tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tutorial and love the variations of the technique. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin