Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sharon Briss: Youthful Resistance - Crayon Resist

While we are exploring "Time" this month, I decided to go back in time to play with one of my first art tools - a crayon.

Doing a crayon resist must be one of the simpliest resist techniques I know. It's quick, easy and fun and your only tools are sponges and a white crayon!

First, I stamped the image using StazOn ink, a solvent-based ink, although you can use any type of ink you choose.

Next, I used my white crayon to highlight areas of the image that I wanted to remain white. I chose to highlight the leaves as well as the flowers.

After this step, I sponged on some pink ink over the area of the flowers. I was not trying to be terribly careful as I wanted a very soft effect.


I then chose a soft green and sponged over the leaves. I sponged yellow onto the remaining white areas.


Once I finished adding ink colors, I wiped away my crayon. I use a used dryer sheet for this step as it leaves very little lint and seems to wipe off the wax very efficiently.


You can see the white areas that appeared after I gently rubbed off the wax.


Here's the finished card:

Stamp: flower from Summer Flower Cling Set (Serendipity Stamps)
Paper: Pink Gingham (Making Memories)
Cardstock: Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery and Whisper White (Stampin Up)
Ink: Jet Black (StazOn); Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery and Barely Banana (Stampin Up)
Tools: oval cutter (Creative Memories); white wax crayon; used dryer sheet
Embellishments: 3 pink heart brads

For those of you who haven't tried crayon resist in a long time, it's time to break out those crayons again. For those who have never tried it, why not have some fun and play a little with this easy technique?

For other great resist techniques on Gingersnap Creations, check out Ali's Distress Watercolor Resist and Hels' take on Basic, Batik and Gesso Resist Techniques.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic Workshops here!

    That´s a fantastic Blog!
    Thank you!

    hugs from Vienna Austria

    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a soft and pretty card. And what a cool technique. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ali took the words right out of my mouth - so beautifully soft and pretty! Great tutorial, Shar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Shar. The crayon is a cool tool what we often forget about as we all get caught up using the newest mediums and gadgets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin