Sunday, March 21, 2010

All Wrapped Up - Jo Capper-Sandon


As this will be one of my last opportunities to contribute as a member of the team for a little while, I thought I'd use the title of 'All Wrapped Up' as not only is it in keeping with the Birthday theme (wrapping :0) ) but describes the method in this tutorial and also wraps things up nicely for me here.

I'd like to show you a very quick and simple way in which to create your own individual backgrounds. This maybe something that you've seen before in the past, but if, like me, you forget some of these ideas and techniques along the way, I hope it will be welcome reminder.

1.First of all gather all your materials. You'll need a heavyweight plain paper or thin card, string, cord or ribbon of some sort, sticky tape and spray paints or inks.


2. Tape the string to one end of the card and wind randomly, criss-crossing as you go and changing angles. Add another piece of sticky tape at the end to hold in place.


3. Lay your string bound card onto a plastic sheet (teflon sheet, plastic bag, bin bag etc). Spray your chosen colour/s. I also used a scrap of sequin waste to spray through too as it was handy on my desk!


4. Set aside to dry. Meanwhile soak up any excess sprayed paint that landed onto the poly sheet onto white card as this will also come in handy for something else no doubt and will save you getting all the sprays etc out again.


5. Unwrap the string.


Now you have your patterned string effect background to use in your card making along with an added extra splashy bonus!


I made a couple of examples to show you from the results of the string technique above.




...and a speedy quick make using the splashy effect.



I hope you'll give this a try sometime as its a fun technique with fast results.

For stamp details please check out my blog.

Jo Capper-Sandon x

25 comments:

  1. This is stunning, I love this effect - and am going to buy some string later - have just discovered I don't have any.... beautiful work Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique Jo. Thanks for sharing and will be giving it a go later. I'm all for speedy backgrounds!
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab technique Jo, such great effects from something so quick. I love the little birdy footprints from the waste card - great idea
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tut Jo thank you love your makes especially the quick humour of the splashy effect. Hope the book goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is totally new to me and really great idea! Thanks for the tutorial - I can't wait to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, and a beautifully done tutorial! Like Helen, I'm going to buy some string today so I can play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's very effective - at a quick glance I initially thought it was strips of torn paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to try this. Love the technique and the finished cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great technique. Thanks for telling us about it. I just love the seed head card and the funny little bird one. It really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will miss you as a regular! But I do have your site as a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was me thinking the birdie was going to be some new fangled technique! I'm well impressed Jo! :P Love these and will definitely be trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! Your tute is perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to try this as soon as I find my supplies in my wreck of a house :) Great tutorial with fab directions. I love the addition of the sequin waste (my new best friend in my tool tray). I think it adds tons of texture to an already beautiful background. Can't wait to read the book and will miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love idea like the super quick idea with the bird (made me smile) I am prepapred I have string (make sure you send me my gold star miss) he he

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. very cool..I like it..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the tutorial and wow that bird card is just delightful.
    Must try this out ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jo, this is fantastic!! I love the effects you got with the string (and the beautiful cards that resulted), and that little birdie walking out of the "splash" is insanely cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great technique Jo, I really like the little bird and footprints ,teeheehee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tutorial - so a great artistic look and it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have seen this- but have never tried it- love your sample cards- I cannot wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea, Jo! Plus you also end up with matching string if you need it on your card!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a brilliant technique Jo and your cards are fab, I love your birds footprints lol x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin