Friday, March 12, 2010

Layering It On....By Hels Sheridan

Morning Peeps...today I am doing a tutorial on using Layers on your artwork and have made a hanging piece of art that has loads and loads of different layers on it. As I usually take the photo's and write the instructions over the top, I have done this again...so if you are having probs reading the instructions, just click on the pic, it will then pop up as a larger image and you will be able to read it :O)) For the project, I used a Bracket shaped piece of chipboard for the base, covering this with cardstock, which was the first layer...then I added four different colours of Distress Inks over the base...another layer on - the colours I used are; Wild Honey, Rusty Hinge, Barn Door and Walnut Stain.




I also added heaps of Grungepaper and Grungeboard, in the form of flower images, stamped, coloured and then piled up to make a large showy flower. The butterfly was stamped onto Grungeboard twice and I cut away the lower wings for the top layer and added some Idea-ology metal to add yet more layers to the finished piece. All of the stamps used in this project are from Wendy Vecchi's Studio 490 range.





Ingredients;
For this project I used a Cuttlebug and Nestabilities to cut out shapes and embossing folders and I also used a Slice cutting machine. You don't necessarily have to use these machine to create layers though, you can use a ruler to tear papers/cardstock, fancy edged scissors or a paper trimmer....the options are endless really :O))




STEP 1
I covered the base chip piece with white card as I wanted to make as many layers as possible on this piece - also.. I wanted the Distress Inks to be more true to colour and using white helps this...the original colour of the base was brown.




STEP 2
I added different shades of Distress Inks and used large background stamps to create a pattern on the base of the project...I made that a few more layers added now :O))





STEP 3
Use more cardstock to make your layered focal point - this is where I put the sentiment




STEP 4
I like to use stamps to make up large flowery pieces but you can use punches or cut out shapes as an alternative.



STEP 5
Over stamp the cut out pieces of Grungepaper/board - this adds more layers...and if you haven't got any Grunge, use cardstock, it works well with this method. Remember to colour BOTH sides of your flower layers as you will be curling the petals...so both sides will show :O))



STEP 6
Use your thumb and forefinger to curl the edges of the petals .. if you are using Grunge then the heat from your hands will make the petals stay curled in shape



STEP 7
Arrange all your layers of petals and cardstock before you glue them together - move them about until you are happy with the look ...I use Glossy Accents for gluing each layer together- it dries really quickly!



FINISHED PROJECT:



So there you go...I hope that you enjoyed this little tutorial and that you want to dash off and get crafty :O)) Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Hels x

20 comments:

  1. Great project- love the step by step pictures. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tutorial, I just love the ways everything works together - the finished product is just gorgeous
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that is one awesome tutorial. You will be writing a book next! Simply superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful...Hels you make everything look so easy...I am jealous in the nicest possible way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply incredible - well structured tutorial, brilliant photos, fantastic artwork. I want to go home and make one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic artwork, love the colours and all the layers, and thanks for the tutorial. Love it Hels xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. rtutorial really helpful Hels
    lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone...a book???? I can't even speel my own name proply ROFL :O))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tutorial, Hels! Love all your different layers. It gave me a ton of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Fabulous tut! I'm VERY inspired! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Hels, Thank You, Thank You for showing us your process!! Your pieces are stunning, and they always look so complicated. It's wonderful to see it all step-by-step! And I just loooove your little butterfly with the compass arrow for a body! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do such a great job with the tutes, Hels! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful art work Hels, I love it.
    You're a natural teacher. You should travel and do demos around the country, I would love to see you in action, creating gorgeous art.
    A book would be a great idea, you could get someone to check your spelling, if you're that worried, and wow! the pictures of your lovely art work together in a book.....
    well they say a picture says a thousand words, so spelling not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great tutorial, and finished project!! I'm only just starting out with distressing, so this was fascinating to read, tfs! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderfully well written and easy to follow...many thanks you talented woman you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab piece of art hun, and very clear tut ;)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow love the stamps you used for the background, could you tell us what company they are?

    -- dalis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous piece!!! Wonderful tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin