Monday, April 12, 2010

Foiled Again! by Katy Fox

Welcome to my first Gingersnaps tutorial! The theme for this month is ‘recycled materials’. In my tutorial I’ll show you how to create a pretty background paper using tin foil. Now, obviously you wouldn’t want to use foil you’d used for cooking, but next time you use it to wrap your sandwiches or cover a dish in the fridge, don’t throw it away – save it for crafting! As you are going to crumple the foil anyway, it doesn't matter if it's used. To keep with the recycling theme I’ve chucked in a bit of old book text too for good measure. I had fun creating these (plus very inky fingers!) - I hope you'll enjoy reading and hopefully having a go.

So without further ado here are the tutorial instructions:
What you will need:
Piece of tin foil
Craft mat
Glimmer Mists or other spray inks
Cardstock
Brayer
Heat gun
Step-by-step:
Step 1: Take a piece of tin foil and crumple it up into a ball. Scrunch it but don’t crumple it so tight that it won’t unfold.

Step 2: Unfold the foil and flatten out roughly with your hand.

Step 3: Spray the foil with Glimmer Mists in colours of your choice. I used 3-5 colours each time. Don’t soak the foil; spray just a few bursts.
Step 4: Place a piece of card down onto the foil. Brayer over the card, pressing quite hard.

Step 5: Repeat a few times until happy with the result. Dry with a heat gun between layers to stop the colours getting muddy. I also like to rotate the card with each application for a more random look.

Step 6: The completed tin-foil technique background.

To complete the card:
Cut a strip of your background and add to a brown card panel along with a strip of old book text which has been torn. Stamp the tree (Katzelkraft Trees) and colour the leaves using ink and a water brush. Mat onto brown and green card panels. Stick to a cream card blank.

Another idea!
This time I used the foil and Glimmer Mist background to stamp the flowers (ISC Friends are Special set) onto, rather than using the piece as a background. I used a tiny strip of the background under the greeting for balance. In this example I used red, pink and orange Glimmer Mist on lemon card which gives a totally different look. Blues and greens on white card also look really pretty.

Thanks for reading and happy stamping!

Katy x

18 comments:

  1. Great idea, love this effect
    Thanks for a fab tutorial
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use foil! Love it! Fantastic tutorial! Great instructions! Now, where did I put that brayer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great tutorial Katy. Thanks for sharing and will try this out soon as that flower one is just gorgeous.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Katy, this is fabulous!! Quick and easy with a great result! Love both of your cards - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--what a fun and pretty technique!! Can't wait to give this one a try. The card is fabulous, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this fun technique. Love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, this is awesome! What a fun technique (gotta try it NOW) and a great way to re-use/recycle! Thanks for the fab info. Those cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cards Katy - Great technique too - may just give this a go! Thanks Katy! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun technique! And looks super easy to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quick and easy TT thanx hun another home made DP to add to my list must stop buying DP I make more than I use lol

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing it.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial. I like the look on the foil too. Wonder if it dries well enough to use it also?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great tutorial. This looks like such fun!thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh, I love your tut! Backgrounds are my fav, I will try this. hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, thank you all for taking the time to comment on my tutorial :). I really enjoyed sharing my idea on Gingersnaps and hope some of you will have a go. It really is super duper easy - I so don't do complicated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely result for a background...looks really pretty for the flowers :)
    Am seeing it being fabulously grungy too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how wonderful! I'm definately gonna give this a go today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin