Friday, April 16, 2010

Gerrie Johnnic: How Many Necklaces Do You Have?

Wow, I'm gona' post my first tutorial..........I'm a little nervous here, so I hope I do ok. I was trying to think of what to do for my blog post.........this is what I came up with, hope you like it.

If you visited any thrift stores, you may have come across some wood veneer wall hangings, from the 1940's, they were usually smaller in size and were hand painted.............and this is the look I tried to achieve. I made these pieces for our bedroom. The spread has big tropical flowers in bright colors, and I've accented with greens and orange. The pictures on the walls, however, are muted shades of these same colors, so I wanted to make something that fit in between the bright and the darker colors.

I took 3 pieces of chipboard and punched holes with my Bind It All in the bottom of each one, then I painted them with Studio Tan paint


added some Distress inks in various colors to give each piece an aged look, drying between each color change.


Then, I stamped in Archival Brown the same background stamp on each piece. Again, hit this with your heat gun or allow to dry overnight.



Then, I stamped the large flower stamps with Black Archival to keep the "aged" look going. Again, remember to use your heat gun or leave overnight.

All the pieces were painted with Creative Inspirations Paints. These paints are water based, easy to use, and reasonably priced. They allow the stamped image to show through the paint, which is what I needed for the Bird of Paradise piece.

The other two pieces also have the same paints dabbed or painted on to give the flowers color. The edges were inked in brown, have to grunge things up you know! I sprayed it with clear sealer to give it some protection.


I added the Bind It All Wires and hung them all on the wall above my jewelry box. Not only does it add some of my art to our room, but they serve a great purpose for all my jewels. I can see you hanging stringed beads or ribbons in your craft room too.

I must tell you that this wasn't my idea, but I tweaked it to make it into mine. I saw it someplace in the last couple of months, thought I saved it, but can't find it anywhere. If you are the creator, or know who is, please let me know, I'll be happy to give you the credit deserved. I do hope you'll give this a try.

Supplies Used:
3 4.5 x 6 chipboard tags, Studio Paint, Distress Inks, Stipple Brushes, Stamps by Stamp Zia and A Stamp in the Hand
Bind it All and 1/2 inch rings, Spray Sealer.

Designer - Gerrie Johnnic

24 comments:

  1. Wow, Gerrie!! You outdid yourself for your first tutorial!!! This is a terrific looking project, and you definitely achieved the look you were going for. Great Job--can't wait for your next tut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought this was your first tutorial! Wonderful job, clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW,Gerrie! First tutorial, well done. Thankyou for sharing a very clever idea...!! Looking forward to see your next tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and HOW effective... well done and thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are genius! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous project, Gerrie - it looks great and is practical too - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a very fun and creative project!! Love how these turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never fail to inspire me, Gerrie! What a totally fab idea...beats the pushpins stuck into my closet wall that I am using now!

    These are stunning pieces of art...what a great use of found objects and fabulous altering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tutorial and a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it Gerrie, what a brilliant idea. Its got me thinking now, x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is fantastic. Great Idea.

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cool! Fabulous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this idea. Now I must head off to the thrift store.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome job, Gerrie, and very creative project. Thanks a bunch, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea!!!!!! very creative! I am off to make something for my necklaces!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you're so brilliant! These are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh WOW my dear!!! absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You go Gf Love love love this project and your tutorial is fantastic can't believe it's your first.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial and such a clever and beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo Gerrie, nicely done and Gorgeous Work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grand slam of crafting Gerrie!!! I just love it! Need to go find the chipboard because my other love is jewelry making and what better way to show off what I make!!! Honest, you would never know it was your first tutorial! You're a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful tut Gerrie ! I can only repeat what others have already said -- wouldn't know it's your first, clever and beautiful idea, and looks just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely fabulous and creative! Never would have thought to use my binding coils that way. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin