Saturday, April 17, 2010

Jennie: Time Flies when you are having fun!

This is my first tutorial for Gingersnap Creations, and apart from teaching workshops, and doing a few videos, I have to confess, I am not sure if I have really done a tutorial on a blog before! The girls have nicknamed me Dimensional Diva, a title I am not sure I can live up to.. but here goes! I wanted to show you something that combines my love of the meltpot with something that you can do easily, and that you might have lurking in your stash that you didn't really know what to do with.
I used a plain wooden frame, and firstly sprayed it with mica sprays, using a combination of blues and greens and gold. I then allowed it to dry naturally.
I poured in several colours of highly pigmented utees in my meltpot. Don't mix them, just allow them to melt in the way they land in the meltpot, and pour them onto a rubberstamp. It must be rubber, not a clear stamp, as these may melt when you pour on the utee! Please excuse the rather dirty stamp, as it was used last week, and hasn't had its regular clean! It didn't affect the utee colour though!
Allow it to cool, but so it is still warm, and pull it off in one go. I laid it on the frame to see it if fit, and then cut off the excess with scissors. You can do this while it is warm, but not cold as it goes brittle and will crack. I made 4 pieces like this and fitted them together to match. I glued them onto the frame with super glue, and using my heat gun melted VERY gently where they joined.

The picture in the middle was just a combination of cog stamps from The Artistic Stamper, which I stamped in Black Archival over a background of distress inks. It was very different to the frame, so I gently sprayed a blue mica spray over it and dried immediately.
The final touches were some of Tim's idea-ology Watch pieces and gears, which I lightly covered in Precious metal gold and blue, and I set the clock face in a little bit of utee melted onto the frame to hold it.
I do hope you like this, and if you comment, we will be giving this frame to one lucky blogger! You have until April 24, 2010 to enter.
Please feel free to ask any questions on the piece or any of the techniques.
Happy Creating
Jennie

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fabulous tutorial Jennie and will have to get out my sadly under used melt pot! Stunning results and definitely very inspiring.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a beautiful project and what a cool idea!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally fabulous! I love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant Jennie - love all the colours and texture it has created - brill tutorial xx Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tutorial! Your instructions are super clear and the result is marvelously gorgeous! Love the idea and I have waaay too many frames hanging around. Off to get some colored UTEE - all I have is boring old clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie, what a great tutorial! I love the colours of the UTEE - it reminds me of coral on the sea bed with the golds and blues (not that I've been on the sea bed personally..) it is just FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv it Jen, what a great tut and such a lovely piece sure would look wonderful hanging on my wall! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous tut! I haven't done any melting but I LOVE the effect here. How clever! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tranformations. Beautiful.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess its time to heat up the old meltpot. Your tutorial has inspired me yet again. Great job Jennie! Love all those gears! Who makes that big gear stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this project! What beautiful results! I have the perfect spot for the frame (I guess everyone else does too) Where did you get the colored UTEE? I have never used anything but the clear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab tutorial Jennie - I want, I want, I want a meltpot ! Love the frame - beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to give this one a try, thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I love the fact that we can use our stamps for other project, this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this frame! It's fab. I think I need to dust off my melting pot tomorrow and mix up UTEE - I keep forgetting all of the wonderful things that can be achieved with stamps. This frame has it all - thank you for the inspiration.

    Regards
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for a really good tutorial! I recently bought a melting pot for another project (needless to say, haven't used it yet!) and hopefully your instructions will inspire me to open that plastic enclosing the pot and GET GOING!!! Thanks again -

    ReplyDelete
  16. TFS a really cool idea! Have never tried UTEE so it might have taken me decades to come up with something like this! Looks like something I'll need to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your wondeful comments, the utee is from Craftynotions, and the cogs stamps are from The Artistic Stamper :) I hope it will inspire you to get out out your melting gear!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes,you are most certainly a Dimensional Diva!
    Great tutorial, I am going to try it out later today! Thank you very much Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty use of UTEE. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful tutorial with fabulous results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. fantastic tutorial, will have to have a go at this, searching - now where did I put my UTEE and melt pot - mmmmmmmm I just don't use it enough but this has inspired me lots.
    thank you
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such an original use of the meltpot and so bang up to date! You amaze me how you fit so much into your time. Great tutorial,

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for the tutorial - you are great with a melt pot - so many ideas and techniques - brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just loving those new cog stamps. Great project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is fantastic! I bought my melting pot from you at ally pally earlier this month, along with the cogs stamp, so now you have given me yet more inspiration :) great work carole :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin