Saturday, May 22, 2010

Altering It... A Tutorial By Hels Sheridan

...Hellooooo... long time no see! It is great to be back with a tutorial for you which involves my favest kind of art making... Altered Art. So, what is Altered Art? Well, it can be defined as something that changes from its original state into a piece of ART by you adding inks, ephemera, paints etc. To me, it is just making art from old things or plain things :O)) I have done two pieces for the Tutorial - the first is actually taking an old thing and making it into something pretty, the second is taking a plain wooden piece and adding paints and stuff to jazz it up. As with all the Tut's that I do, I have typed the instructions onto the picture - which means that I don't bore you too much with all my chatterings here. If you can't read the pics as they are on the screen, simply just click on the pic and it will pop up on a new screen and will be easier to read.





ALTERED SPOON

I have a really bad habit of going around junk shops and car boot sales and collecting old spoons. It doesn't matter if they are just single ones or in a set, I have to have them! And why? Because they look like fab little gems when they are altered - and make lovely little pieces of art for pressies and for yourself too.

INGREDIENTS




STEP 1




STEP 2



STEP 3



This is what the heart looks like once it is dried:




STEP 4




STEP 5




STEP 6




STEP 7




The next Tutorial is using a wooden box that I picked up at a discount store for a few quid - and as it has little compartments in it, it is perfect for holding my new Idea-ology stash :O))


ALTERED WOODEN TRINKET BOX

Most scrap or stamp stores have a range of wooden items ready for altering - an alternative it to use old pieces you pick up at junk shops and car boot sales. This piece has been made using a very basic technique that I use a lot - and a lot of peeps have been kindly asking me how I get the effect, so here is the how to :O))


INGREDIENTS




STEP 1





STEP 2





STEP 3





STEP 4





STEP 5




STEP 6




STEP 7




STEP 8




STEP 9




STEP 10




FINISHED BOX:




I have a box already for Idea-ology but then they went and brought out some more.. so this box is just perfect to house my bits and bobs...



I really hope you have enjoyed this Tutorial and that you are now wanting to go and alter something for yourself. You might have noticed a lack of stamping on the items I have altered. This is simply because I wanted to show the basics - you can add on the stamping as you like ... just remember that if you are going to stamp onto the box with the crackles, make sure you stamp in a permanent ink, like StaZon, before you crackle it otherwise your image won't be a crisp one.

Thanks for looking and happy crafting!

Hels x

9 comments:

  1. wonderful tutorial :) Thank you for showing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous projects, Hels! You are so wonderfully creative! Thanks for giving such great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tuuts, you make it sound so do-able
    I can appreciate you not wanting to make it too long but I do find it very hard to read the text specially the black on the dark coloured bits.
    ( or is that my age?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now SO excited to start playing with some of the inks and things!

    I've been avoiding it until now, because while all of these projects turn out so beautifully, the only instructions I could find were way, WAY involved and confusing -- what the hell is fun about THAT?

    Well, you've made it seem FUN! Yay! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. box and spoon are great, just wish it was a bit easier to read the instructions for the spoon, not easy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful projects and fab tutorial, Hels! Thanks for the tip about how to spray and quickly dry with the glimmer mists.... they always give me troubles, never know how they'll turn out. Great ideas here... (and I need to get me some of that Trad Tan! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am buying some inks for the first time and I just love the spoon that you've altered they are a lot more versatile than I origianaly thought so can't wait to have a play, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful TT Hel's Loving the spoon I have been collecting spoons too! (to make a neclace or two) must get round to it and this was a very nive prod lol

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Ive actually recently bought a very similar box (no window in the lid though) to keep my ideaology and other old bits in. Im in the middle of painting and altering it. May I ask where you bought the box as I like the window in it. My box came from ebay, search for tea chest if anyone is after a similar box to try this technique.
    Anika xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin