Monday, May 17, 2010

Book Page Backgrounds by Ali Manning

I love to make cards and other projects using old book pages and found text. Our theme on Gingersnaps this month is books and text, so I thought this would be a great time to share one of my favorite ways of making backgrounds.

Here's how you make book page backgrounds:

Tip: to ensure a flat surface, choose book pages that are a similar weight. If you don't intend to stamp on the finished background and like more texture, then by all means use different weight papers.






Now what can you do with these backgrounds. Here are some ideas:

  • Stamp a focal image for a card. Choose an open stamp so that the background shows through.
Here's a close-up:
  • Create interesting bases for cards, ATCs, inchies, twinchies etc.
  • Incorporate the book page backgrounds into an altered book, art journal or scrapbook page.
  • Run a sheet through your die-cutting machine to create different shapes. This flower was cut from a piece of Grunge Board that received the treatment outlined above.
  • Don't waste any of the scraps. Use them to create fun backgrounds, such as this Herringbone card*.
I'm sure you can come up with many more ways to use these book page backgrounds. If you try this technique, leave in a link in the comments below - we'd love to see what you create!


* Herringbone is a Technique Junkies technique (Dec 09/Jan 10 newsletter)

20 comments:

  1. I love this look. I also love books though and find it hard to tear pages out of books to use (I know I can buy second hand or charity shop books for it) - but I WILL have a go at this!! Your effects are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, positively beautiful, Ali! Thanks for sharing this technique - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this....I cannot even wait to try it! Everything you made w/the papers turned out just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful ideas...thanks for sharing! I must get me some old books to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for great tutorial will have a go with my old books I bought specially from charity shop - thats if I can tear them up!!!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your background pages are fabulous. Great collage work and colors. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea ... and your projects are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous works of art ... and I'm SO GLAD you gave instructions.

    As a newbie to some of the products out there, and with little access/time for classes, I'm woefully behind until sweet people like you give up the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the results of this technique. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful..thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pages, Ali! I love the way you put them together and add so much fab inky detail and gesso gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a FABULOUS tutorial! This is such an amazing technique! Can't wait to try it! :) Thanks for taking the time to give such wonderful directions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great backgrounds you can get with this technique - I think it really gives a sense of depth to your piece. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FUN challenge...I did one too! http://cardsandthings.blogspot.com/2010/05/challenges-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tutorial! just shared the link on my facebook page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous results...love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a grest tutorial and your samples turn out beautifully. The nice thing is it not only looks easy, but has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin