Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Muse: Nancy Maxwell James

We have the pleasure of welcoming Nancy Maxwell James as our May Muse. A talented mixed media artist, Nancy is a self-proclaimed "dabbler". And dabble she does! Nancy makes everything from ATCs, small canvas projects, altered shadow and cigar boxes, gothic arches, altered books, cards and hertiage layouts.

She has been published many times in such publications as Somerset Memories, Somerset Holidays and Celebrations, Somerset Wedding, Somerset Home and Somerset Studio among others.


Q: How long have you been creating art?

A: All my life. I never inherited the drawing skills like my sisters and daughter (they are amazing) but the "crafty" side of my Grandmother.

I have been creating mixed-media since 2006.

Nancy's favorite creation is an altered shrine that she created in 2006 from a cigar box, ephemera and a photograph of her father. She has been kind enough to share it with us.



Q: Why is this creation your favorite and what inspired it?

A: It is a tribute to my Dad and his life. I made it after my Dad had passed from a long struggle with leukemia and Parkinson's Disease. The piece was published in the "Rememberance" section of Somerset Memories. I wept the day the magazine arrived. The song lyrics on the piece are the last words my Dad ever said to us.

Q: What is your favorite technique/medium and why?

A: I dabble in many things so it depends on my mood at the moment. I would say mixed media is always my favorite and I adore working with pattern paper. I always have to add it into something that I am creating.


Q: What 3 tools could you not live without?

A: 1) Paper trimmer; 2) paint brush; and 3) an eyelet setter.


Q: What 3 supplies are always within arm's length?

A: 1) Distress Ink (Vintage Photo); 2) Gel Medium; and 3) double sided tape.


On behalf of Gingersnap Creations, we would like to thank Nancy for being our May Muse! You can see more of her fabulous art on her blog, Sugar Lump Studios.










All artwork in this post is credited to Nancy Maxwell James.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You certainly are my muse for May--I've been so inspired by your art posted here in this article and very touched by that piece you made as a tribute to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been an admirer from the first time I saw your artwork in a Stampington & co publication. The artwork posted within this interview is inspirational. Thank You. Lynne M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pieces, Nancy - I have been following your blog for awhile and everything you do is exquisite! Hope your new abode is shaping up nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to find your inteview, I love Nancy's work, and she never ceases to amaze me everytime I see a piece. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Nancy!! I adore every single art piece in this post - they made me gasp!! So very inspirational, and a wonderful interview. Thanks for being our Muse of May!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I'm always in awe of your talent, Thank you for sharing more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin