Saturday, May 15, 2010

Multimedia Tutorial by Jennie

Birds seem all the fashion at the moment, especially since Sizzix have released Tim Holtz's dies in the last month or so, and I cannot stop using the bird (although I have to admit, I wasn't overly enamoured the first time I saw the design!). However my brain seems to be in bird mode this week, and I thought a tutorial on using texture paste would be fun especially if it was incorporated into a book for the Read Challenge here on Gingersnap.

I used very thick card cut into A5 size for the covers, and liberally smooshed on Terra in a neutral colour. I used a palette knife, but a piece of Cut n Dry will do fine and I used one of the stamps from Botanical Plate 2 from The Artistic Stamper to give it some texture.

Wet your stamp on a rub n scrub it pad and stamp into the paste. Clean your stamp on the rub and scrub as soon as you have finished, as the Terra dries hard and will ruin your stamp.

I then dried it on the radiator (cold enough here in the UK to have it on still :(, )and when it was dry, I sprayed lots of green and yellow and a smattering of orange mica spray on to and again let it dry.

I rubbed a little bit of Precious metal colour on to highlight the high areas.

To make the bird, take a piece of coloured metal, and using a mould (I used a Ten Seconds Studio mould) and gently rub the metal into the mould with a paper stump, and then refine it a bit with a refining tool.

To stop it collapsing while die cutting, I stuck the metal to some card with strong double sided tape and ran this through the die cutter. I also mica sprayed the bird and wing. The branch is a piece of Grungepaper, which I embossed with an embossing folder, and cut out with Mr Holtz's scroll die. Finally, I cut out some blank pages for the inside, punched holes in the appropriate places, and joined it all together with Idea-ology D book rings.


I do hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and have a very creative day :)
Jennie

16 comments:

  1. Wow, your design is freakin' awesome! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the autumnal colours and the depth of this Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous book and a great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Jen, I have to give both of these ideas a whirl, how kewl is that! Luv, lulv, luv it!! hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the texture and technique. It tooked out just wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial (for us visual learners!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab tut Jennie, love the effect you achieved.. i just did something very simular on my journal but i used golden light molding paste and distress inks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff! likey likey ;0)

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely piece of art work Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful effect you've achieved, Jennie! Love all the different media - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely stunning, Jennie! Don't know which I like better - the amazing backgrounds or the extra cool diecuts! Guess I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great project Jennie, the bird looks stunning as well as the background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic Jennie, Your stamps look so cool in the terra! I've never tried it this thick. Will give it a go again after seeing your great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin