Friday, June 11, 2010

Autumn Hathaway: Reconstructed the Old Collage


Several years back when I was very interested in learning different methods of collage, I created many pieces that I find unappealing now. I know this is common with creators, to look at something in their past repertoire and have no interest in it now. At one time you think and feel one way and then as you expand and evolve, your taste changes. It is more likely that just the need to experience the process of creating that satisfies much more the actual creation.

In these two 12x12 wrapped canvas collages I used the subject to be one of the many vintage images I had collected (like many of us, we can thank ArtChix Studio for that) and, at the time was more drawn to them. I really loved the colors and I also liked adhering the center panel with brads and copper tape accents. But I really loved the background canvas I created with clip art and stamps from Ma Vinci's.


But when I came across them last year I was uninspired and decided to do a bit of altering. Here are their newer incarnations...


It seems that I was able to easily remove the photo image, and that probably speaks to the fact that these were in a bathroom for several years. So I then tinted the purple panel with Titan Buff acrylic from Golden and then transferred the iris images to create a different subject onto the panel. I used the caulk method with a color copy.

So even if something you created in the past doesn't stir you like it originally did, explore it with new eyes and see what you can come up with. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Well I must say I love BOTH incarnations!!! The new floral transfers are gorgeous - and I just love your collaged backgrounds. Great idea to resurrect your originals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go for the new incarnation, but the whole concept is just great. That purple colour is lovely! I agree with Jean, the backgrounds are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, loving them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creations illuminate your artistic soul -- all "versions" are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second one definetely pops more for me but that's probably because I love the purple. It's fun going back to things - I do it with scrapbook pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much for sharing your canvas creations...I am just learning to work on canvas and use different mediums...a wow job on these designs.
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning art...loving your style x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin