Saturday, July 17, 2010

A cracking little box-Tutorial by Jennie

As the "Dimensional Diva" *lol* of Gingersnap Creations, I always like to give you something a little different to get your teeth into! This month, I was asked by a friend to show a tutorial using Crackle Paint and Precious Metal colour. I hope you like what I have created for you to try.
I used a tiny wooden box as my base, and first covered it in Studio paint Traditional tan, but you can use gesso or any paint. You need to give the box a base coat basically. Then I layered on some torn paper from an old book I use to tear up for collage. I glued the torn papers on with Multi Medium matte,and let it dry.
Next add some Dimensional paint. I used Viva Decor Terra, but you can use any as long as it is thick and textural. Just put where the paper isn't, if that makes sense. While it is still wet, wet a script stamp and stamp directly into it. To do all the sides of the box, you need to let it dry on the top so you can turn the box around to finish the sides. Make sure you wash the stamp thoroughly as soon as you have finished as it will ruin your stamp if left to dry. Colour the papers and the Terra when dry with distress ink. I used Rusty Hinge.
Next take some clear crackle paint-I used Rock candy Distress Crackle paint, and paint it on the spaces left where the paper is. I did literally pour it on, obviously waiting for it to dry before doing the sides. When it has cracked, rub distress ink over it and into the cracks, and wipe off the top of the cracked paint. Allow to dry.
Next using the Precious Metal Colour in gold, apply to a piece of cut'n'dry, and dab over all the areas you want gold, being careful to avoid the crackle paint. To remove it from places that you don't want it, use a baby wipe, as this removes the paint.
I added gold painted beads as feet, and a little trinket as a handle which I also painted gold, and crackled.
Tip: you can heat dry both Viva Terra, and the Distress Crackle, but let it dry naturally for a little while first.
Please feel free to ask me any questions, and if you do have a try please let me know.
Have a very creative day
Jennie

17 comments:

  1. Fantastic project and tutorial, I will be having a go at this one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, What a gorgeous box, never would have thought to crackle the paper only. Great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! you've inspired me Jennie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing and if my kids actually stop screaming at me I am defo going to try this hehe thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, I am off to find a box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous box. Thanks for sharing your techinque.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great step by step tutorial Jennie, the crackle on this box is fantastic, a girl can never have too much crackle lol, the contrast of metal colours really adds to this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly gorgeous Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your box looks yummy hun

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny I love this, great tutorial and great instructions. Must give this a go.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for an excellent tutorial! I will definitely try this. Wonderful techniques and project,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally stunning....Thank you for sharing!

    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!! I just think you did an incredible job not just creating this beautiful box but in teaching us how to do it!! Thanks for sharing your work of art and your instructions so we can case it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! I have so many wooden and papier mache' boxes just sitting on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much Jennie. I love the box and will definitely try this out.
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for the step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin