Thursday, July 29, 2010

Debby Boltman: Break Out Those Markers

My tutorial uses Marvy Metallic Markers, glossy paper and water and continues to show the many different looks you can create with markers. And it also shows that it is okay to play and experiment :)


First, I mist my brayer with water. Then, I scribble on the brayer with different colored markers to create sort of a rainbow.

After misting my brayer once more with the markers on it, I then run my brayer across my white glossy paper to create a unique and cool background.

I discovered something interesting while playing with this. I had colored my rubber image with gold metallic marker and stamped on the paper. I wasn't pleased with how it looked so I used a paper towel to wipe it off and I ended up with this cool resist effect. {See image on the left below}

I then overstamped the resist image with Adirondack Black and clear embossed to prevent smearing and came out with a kewl shadowy mermaid. Kinda cool. The image on the right above is stamped with the gold mettalic marker. I'm still playing. ;)

This is the card I made with the shadowy image. You may have seen it previously for the marker challenge. Simply layered on colored cardstock. Great backgrounds make card making easy peasy.


So remember I said I was still playing. I clear embossed the gold metallic ink to prevent smearing. Well, I still didn't quite like the look of just the image in gold metallic marker so again I overstamped with the Adriondack Black and then clear embossed the whole thing again. I know the image looks uh shall we say, not crisp. However!

Take a look at this texture. It was too cool. You can see it and feel it. I love it!

I decided since my markers were out I would try something on black glossy too. I decided to start dabbing my markers all over the paper randomly.


I then sprayed water on the paper and just tillted the paper up to let the markers run.


The paper on the right I pretty much covered by dabbing the markers so there is more ink. That one is also sprayed with water and lifted and tilted to let the inks run freely.

Here, I combined the different backgrounds to create a shimmery pretty card. Image and background are outlined with silver metallic marker.

Here, I decided the background was so unique I wanted it to be the focus of my card.


This black glossy paper is cool beans because the other side is white and I stamped my sentiment on the white. :)


Hope you enjoyed the tuturial and I hope I have inspired you to break out those markers. And have fun! And experiment!

Supplies used: All paper from Paper Temptress. Rubber stamp images are from Hearts In Touch. Rubber stamp sentiment is from Hero Arts. Adirondack ink and clear embossing powder by Ranger. Markers by Marvy.

13 comments:

  1. how amazing does that look just lovely backgrounds for stamping
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do a lot of back ground papers with these markers. They are wonderful, and once you start "playing" with them it is hard to STOP. LOL I love the resists you ended up with. Keep playing with those markers your an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those black backgrounds are great - haven't used my metallic markers for ages, must try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza, Debby!!! I had no idea that markers could be used in this way - I *love* the effects you've gotten. (That resist effect is waaaaay cool!) Thanks for sharing your process - great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your backgrounds. That black one looks brilliant - very watery or ethereal even. Must go have a play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant & inspiring! TFS Debbie! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. holey moley, these are just gorgeous Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...so fun. This is great! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These all look amazing Debby - I can't wait to give them all a try. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin