Friday, July 2, 2010

July Muse: Penny Bennington

We are delighted to welcome Penny Bennington as our Muse for July and are so excited to share her artwork with you. Penny's work, which has been published in Somerset Studio, The Stamper's Sampler and the Somerset Studio Gallery, has a beautiful vintage style that we know our readers are going to love! She . Over to Penny.....

Q: How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?

A: I started stamping in 2004 as a creative escape from my very non-artistic life as a veterinarian. (My husband and I run a practice together). I come from a very creative family, but I was the scientific one and ignored my creative side for a long time.

When I discovered collage-style and photo-style stamping, I fell in love with them and found my creative voice. I finally became brave enough to enter a design team contest for Oxford Impressions and was chosen for their 2009 Design Team.


Q: Tell us about your favorite creation.

A: One of my all-time favorite creations is a metal piece using stamping, embossing and alcohol ink. It was part of my design team contest entry in 2008 and was also published in Somerset Studio Gallery.
Also among my favorites are my mini books. I love making alcohol inked ceramic tiles and then using them as covers for a piano hinge book. I've given these as gifts to family and friends.

I also love making shaped mini books like star books and folded circle books, and love working with acrylic albums.


Q: What is your favorite technique?

A: I love resist techniques done with embossing powder, paint or wax.


Q: What 3 tools could you not live without and why you love them?

A: My list includes my brayer, which is actually a wooden fondant roller that I polyurethaned and is perfect for helping adhere things together; my quiet heat gun from Ranger that let's me work on projects in the same room as my husband while he watches movies.

Then it's a tie between my glass mat - a really great surface to stamp on, and my extra big Tattered Angels misting mat that protects my table from inks - and did I mention that it was pink!


Q: What 3 supplies are always within reach?

A: Distress inks - they are so versatile! Glimmer Mists - I find myself using them more and more. And black ink - my favorites are Versafine onyx black and Ranger's jet black archival.

On behalf of Gingersnap Creations, we would like to thank Penny for being our July Muse! You can see more of her fabulous art on her blog, A Penny for you Thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see Penny as a Muse. Her work is so inspirational and I cannot wait to see her creations for Gingersnap Creations. I am also incredibly lucky to have a tile book made by Penny. Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny does some gorgeous work. She is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what terrific work, thank you for sharing. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for us!!! I am planning on learning some beautiful techniques from Penny!! So far, I love all of her art that I have seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, so nice to see you Penny as the July muse! Your work is gorgeous! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work, Penny!! I'm so excited that you are our Muse - your art is so very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Penny , I saw in the link with in, you, so I liked it much to read more about you here, on this great tutorial blog, best wishes to all off you from me, Janine from Germany.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin