Sunday, July 11, 2010

On Your Marks... A Tutorial By Hels Sheridan

Hello Peeps,

I am honoured to be bringing you another tutorial - this time I will be showing you about my favourite kind of Marker Pens...which are ProMarkers. Now you know the big "Copic V ProMarker" debate... they both are fab pens... and both do more or less the same thing, I reckon it is just a personal choice... but this tutorial will work equally as well with Copics too.




A list of Ingredients you will need to be able to do some colouring in;

Smooth Cardstock
Memento Ink Pad
ProMarkers/Copics
Stamps




I love sitting and colouring in stamped images - it is so relaxing and therapeutic. I often have been known to sit for an evening in front of the TV with a tray on my lap, colouring in images ready for them to be made up into cards :O)) So, enough of me waffling on... here are my Step by Step deets for you to follow. One thing I will say is... if you are using an alcohol based pen, such as the ProMarkers/Copics, you will need to use a Memento inkpad (or the like) - this doesn't run or bleed into the card when the colour from the markers touch it. I have tried colouring with an Archival inked image and this does bleed a little bit... as for StaZon - forget it, it bleeds like mad!

STEP 1

A simple step - ink up your stamp with the Memento ink and pop your image onto your cardstock. The smoother the card, the better the finish of the colouring. I have used two different stamps for my project - just to add a little something extra :O))




STEP 2

Start with the lightest colour in the theme of colours you have chosen - here I have used a dusky pink, coloured the hair and then I have used a darker pink to add highlights - leave a little gap in the darker colouring - this can be where your "light" is shining onto the image.



STEP 3

A must have for your colouring is a Blending Pen. This makes blending the darker and lighter colours together easier and makes the finish look softer.. and...erm... more blended LOL




STEP 4

Moving down your stamped image you arrive at skin tones. I have chosen a couple of beige toned pens for this. The palest colour should be applied first, then, use the darker colour to go around the edge of the face... it gives the face a little more definition... and you can then go over parts of the edge to get some more shading. Also, you can add some brown tones in for darker skinned images or even... freckles... which is something I have and usually add to the images :O))




STEP 5

Carry on colouring the rest of your image in as you wish... remember to use the palest colour in the set first, go over with the darker colour for shading and then the Blender pen. Once your image is all nicely coloured in, use a pale grey/beige coloured pen and draw right around the edges of your images. This gives them a bit of grounding and also makes them pop off the page more. Add some shading under feet so the image doesn't look like it is hanging in mid-air.




STEP 6

I have used "Two Sticks" by Stampotique as the little images so I can show you that you can also draw your own images and colour with ProMarkers... I have used a Journalling Pen from American Crafts... the best thing to do before drawing onto your main image is have a little trial, just make sure your pen doesn't react with the fluid of the coloured pens... I drew some little shaggy petals onto the "Two Sticks" images... and then coloured them in with bright and gaudy colours, to match my girlies dress sense LOL




ADDITIONAL BITS & BOBS

I stamped some flower images (yep, those wonderful Studio 490 flowers again!) and coloured them with the other end of the ProMarker. The beauty of ProMarkers is they have a fine tip and a chisel tip too. The fine tip is brill for the colouring in of detailed images, however, the chisel tip is great for covering large areas - such as flowers and leaves - just add on some darker shading with the fine tip for highlights.

Another alternative to using colour is using just Grey pens... this way you can create a mono-chrome look to your project - I have used this method using all the different types of Greys - hey when I got my set of ProMarkers I did wonder what on Earth I would do with 15 different Greys... but believe me, they really do make a fantastic change to bright colours. And... you can use the paler Greys to make white things look whiter...sounds mad I know, but if you are colouring a snowman, if you edge him with a little touch of grey, he looks whiter! Try it! Honestly... tisn't a wind up :O))




Here is the finished card at an angle so you can see how I layered up the flowers - because I wanted to curl the edges of the card, I coloured the back of the petals and leaves too. Finally, I edged the whole of the stamped area with Pumice Stone Distress Ink just to pull the whole piece together.




So there you have it :O)) I hope you liked the Tutorial and found it useful... thank you for taking time out to look and I would love your feedback.. please :O)) TTFN

Hels x

10 comments:

  1. Love the flower you made! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, Hels! And your card is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab tut Hels, thanks
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feedback? Brillant straightforward tutorial. Love the images you have used ....these are growing on me each time I see peoples'creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant tute Hels! Gorgeous card! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent tutorial Hels i enjoyed it immensly have found it very helpful too.. ilove all your work its amazing..hugs janet
    p.s if you ever want to trade tags again please give me a holler..hugs jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, I thought the same about greys, but now know there are blue greys, black greys and brown greys! Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin