Saturday, August 7, 2010

August Muse: Peggy Gatto


We are delighted to welcome Peggy Gatto as our Muse for August. Peggy currently designs for Divas D'Este and Nicecrane Designs. She has had her work published in many publications, such as Belle Armoire, Somerset Studio, Haute Handbags, Altered Couture, Cloth, Paper, Scissors and Arttitude-zine. Peggy is a regular challenge player and Ginger Gem here on Gingersnaps and we're so excited to share even more of her work with you this month.


Q: How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?

A: Like most others, I have been creating some kind of art since I was little. As I got older, my types of creativity evolved!

I started painting on canvases 20 years ago. I had been painting watering cans and other boutique type pieces and my husband encouraged me to try some 'fine art'! I joined our local art society (which raises money for the local school art department by giving grants) and have been active ever since.

Then I discovered altered art and my creative world opened up, what fun!!

Q: Tell us about your favorite creation.

A: My favorite piece is a 17"x 36" collage under glass called "The Great Wall of China" that I created in 2000. It took me almost 2 years to complete because it involved gluing so many small pieces of paper to build the wall.


Q: Why is it your favorite?

A: I am fascinated by Asian art and history. I had a poster of the Great Wall from one of my aunts when they went to China in the 1930s. I copied the poster, which was long and narrow horizontally and started making a wall by fitting pictures of the blue and white china from magazines and catalogs. It was going to be MY "Wall of China!"


Q: What is your favorite technique/medium and why?

A: Paper and paint! You can create anything with these two and they work on all kinds of surfaces.


Q: What 3 tools could you not live without?

A: Fine drawing black pens, Xacto knife and glues.


Q: What 3 supplies are always within reach?

A :Scissors, paper and glue.

Come back tomorrow when Peggy will share with us a great tutorial about painting on denim and be sure to visit her blog, Peggy's Mixed-Up Art!

8 comments:

  1. OUUU!!! Painting on denim! I've been collecting worn out jeans from EVERYONE in my family for years ... I knew one day I'd fine SOMETHING cool to make with them!

    YAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Thanks for the introduction.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Looking forward to see more. I'm inspired!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab artwork, will be back tomorrow with muy old jeans :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Penny, your artwork is stunning!! So glad to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning from CA (9:55) and may I say I've never "looked so good"!
    Thank you Ali for the wonderful post!
    I am very excited to be here!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Peggy's work... the colours are just so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following Peggy's art for quite a while now and her art work is amamzing. I love the way she interprets themes and translates them into colour. I am looking forward to her tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin