Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to Basics.. well almost ....by Jennie

I cannot believe a month has gone since I last did a tutorial for you.. what happened to the summer? It will soon be Christmas! eek! My mojo took a slight dip this week, so almost always when I have that happen, I go back to basics. By that I mean stamping and embossing. This is an ATC ( thank you Hels , for the renewed interest :) with added elements. You will need for this simple but very effective piece, a piece of glossy card 2.5 x3.5 inches, some alcohol inks, some gold embossing powder ( I used Queen's gold by Ranger) , a little lizard , commonly known as "Willeez", a pot of duo glue from UsArtQuest, and couple of stamps. I used a saying from Tim Holtz, and the new Punk Plaid from The Artistic Stamper.
I covered the lizard in Duo glue first as it needs to dry. It goes on milky and dries clear and sticky, so you can add gold leaf or foil and in my case tiny beads.
Ink up your glossy card with shades of green and light bluem Alcohol inks uisng tfelts and a tool. No blender is necessary. If you make it too dark, the images might disappear, but that is just my personal preference.
 As soon as it is dry (which is seconds) , ink up your background stamp with Versamark, and stamp. You do get time to put the powder on as it stays wet for a few minutes.  Heat emboss it. The trick is not to overheat, about 20 seconds at the most. Put it to one side.
Do exactly the same with the saying or words,For this, I distressed the edges of the card, and rubbed a Versamark inkpad around it, dipped lightly in embossing powder, and ever so gently heated it to give it a gold edge.
To decorate the "Willeez", use gold leaf or foils and brush onto the tacky glue. I added random tiny holeless beads to various parts and added a bead on a wire round his neck.
Finally assemble the ATC .

So, if you are stuck for an idea or your mojo has gone on holiday to warmer climes, pick up your embossing powder, and have a play :))
Thank you for looking.
Jennie

17 comments:

  1. Incredible detail!!!!
    Fantastic result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well leapin lizards! hes the fanciest one I've ever seen! Looks like you got your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The alcohol ink background with the gold embossing powder is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Willeez!! He is gorgeous, and so is your ATC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card !! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous ATC - love your colours Jennie. Willeez
    is well fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! The colors are beautiful...a lizard?
    ATC's are always fun and usually fast. Thanks for
    sharing.

    Smiles and Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, Jennie! I've used little lizards several times in my crafting...but I'm also a lizard-lover! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your atc is awesome Jennie, sometimes its the simple things that produce the best results

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny, love this ATC, that Lizard is too cute! Love Lizards. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is one awesome atc that lizard is very gaudi....love it
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouuu! Fantastic ideas!

    First, loving the lizard as we collect millions of tiny toys at my house ... perfect new use for them!

    Also, completely digging your embossed, distressed edging! Brilliant!

    Finally, completely in love with the gold embossing on the alcohol inked background!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great wonderful work Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL... in the first picture, I thought the lizard was a family pet named Willeez...geesh!!! Beautiful ATC Jennie and you are so right, back to basics should be a mantra when we get stuck!!! I love your completed ATC...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great ATC! Love the lizards from USAQ too. ;-) Sue (USAQ)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin