Monday, August 9, 2010

Sharon Briss: Playing with Paint Chip Scraplings

This month on Gingersnap Creations, we have a new Art Exchange - Paint Chip Scraplings. These cute mini-cards are quick and easy to make to start with. Add in a paint chip to the mix and they becomes a snap to create!


What you will need:


~ various scraps of cardstock, at least 8-1/2" in length and 1-1/2" in width
~ black or other neutral cardstock for framing
~ StazOn ink in coordinating color to your frame cardstock
~ various paper paint chips (sample strips)
~ variety of stamps
~ paper cutter, ruler, bone folder and adhesive
~ embellishments as desired

I am always saving the strangest things with the idea that one day I might use it in a craft. One of the things I regularly save are the paper paint chip samples that I collect when trying to figuring out what color to paint my next interior design project.

Scraplings are a great way to use up these random bits that you have collected and use up scrap cardstock at the same time. They can range from cutesy to artsy and are fabulous for small gift tags, bookmarks, love notes, hidden journalling on scrapbook pages, distinctive place cards and other short but sweet communications.

To start, choose your paint chip and a cooresponding cardstock scrap. For all my frames, I have decided to use black cardstock to go with my Jet Black StazOn so that no matter what paint colors I choose the ink and frame color will always tie together.


Cut your scrapling base: 8-1/2" x 1-1/2". Then fold in half, creasing your fold with a bone folder.


Next, I cut the actual paper paint chip sample. I start by trimming off the color names and/or numbers if visible (unless they are apropos to my project). I cut a strip 1-1/4" wide, leaving the length to be determined by my image. You will want to reserve your length cut until you see what you have. Be sure that your paint chip ends up to be a maximum of 4" long or it will not fit on your scrapling.


Select your image and test against the strip to see that it will fit.


I used mostly acrylic stamps today so that I could see exactly where my image would land. For a different look, you can use a detailed larger stamp as I did on my samples for the Art Exchange.


Once, you have trimmed your paint chip to an appropriate length, pair it with a piece of cardstock 1-3/8" wide and 1/4" longer than your chip's final length.


Embellish as desired. For this sample, I kept the image small and added some stamped images to the bottom of the card. I then stamped the images again on scrap paint chip and paper pieced them to the scrapling.


Stamp credits: Critter Party set from Penny Black.

Here's another sample using paper piecing.


Stamp credits: flower from Oh So Lovely by Stampin Up and sentiment from the Dear Sister set by Curious by Design.

Sometimes, I like to have the image stretch across the various colors as in this example with this cute giraffe image. I aligned it so that the giraffe spanned 3 different colors.

For this scrapling, I added simple embellishments in the form of buttons.

Stamp credit: A Day at the Zoo set from Rubber Soul.

This particular format lends itself especially well to using lovely flower silhouette images. Once again, I allowed the image to span across several color blocks. This one used the entire length of the scrapling.

Stamp credit: Fresh Flower Elements from Clearly Impressed by Stampington.

You can go artsy with these mini masterpieces too! For this scrapling, I randomly stamped some of my favorite Stampington images over the paint chip and then trimmed it down to size for an interesting look.

Stamp credits: fleur de lis, woman, architectural element and butterfly from Butterfly Girl by Clearly Impressed by Stampington.

Scraplings make excellent place holders in books. I designed this one to help me find a favorite recipe easily in my cookbook. It just slips right over the page without getting lost or causing damage to the book.

Stamp credits: girl, flowers and sentiments from Kitchen Classics from Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets.

I hope you have a lot of fun with these great little cards! Join us in our 4th Art Exchange, just check out our post for all the information.

15 comments:

  1. This is terrific. Will go to DIY stores to get my scraplings. Thank you for explaining it so well. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!!!
    I think they would make great business cards, like moo cards!
    thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great explanation - I can't wait to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for great tutorial! I need to try this out , just have to get some of those paint chips.
    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial and such a cute slice of yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tutorial, the giraffe is my favourite. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tutorial! I made a few and will have them up on my blog in the next couple of days.
    rinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just posted a batch to my blog here:
    http://gallorganico.blogspot.com/2010/08/buggy-for-scraplings.html
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the great tutorial. Your scraplings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shar
    This is a great help! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cards are beautiful! I love it!

    I am having a crafty competition with Paint samples that I would love to have you enter this project in!

    Check it out here:
    http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/08/iron-crafter-round-4-paint-samples.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute, now I have a question. The first piece of cardstock you cut it says to fold in half with bone folder, so this is like a long card????that flips open??? Just making clear why you need so much length then fold the cardstock in half. Sounds like a nice little card, Scrappling is something I am not familiar with.
    Thanks and I just love this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin