Saturday, September 25, 2010

Holiday Happenings: Trees, Trees, Trees

This month in our Holiday Happenings, we are going to tackle cards with trees. Seems simple but it can give you a lot of different looks.

So far we have created cards with Outdoor Scenes, inspired by the heat of July, and Holiday Lights,inspired by the sunny days of August, to add to our ever growing pile of already made holiday cards! If you've been playing along, you may have at least 2 cards done and as many as 20!

For the serene month of September, I have chosen "Trees" as our inspiration in honor of the wonderful changing colors of the leaves at this time of year.


So trees seems to be a narrow inspiration, but you can actually do a lot with it. My extra challenge to myself was to keep the cards fairly simple with a minimum of stamped images so that they would be easy to replicate a few times.

Trees as the focal point:

Here I used a single image from Inka Stamps (now available from Scrolls Work) of a beautiful scene and sentiment. I stamped the image on some subtle but pretty striped green paper from My Big Ideas and isolated and matted the two parts of the image with black. I then set it all on a background of the same soft paper but offset the stripes.


To really put the these trees from Magenta in the spotlight, I decided to paper piece them! I had some wonderful double-sided paper that I knew would fit the bill. Of course, it wasn't holiday paper or even holiday colors - I just loved it! Sometimes you have to think outside the paper drawer and just run with an idea! Get creative and look at incorporating some of your favorite papers into your holiday cards even if they aren't silver and blue or red and green!


Here's how I used the same idea and same image with more yummy paper (Daisy D's I think) in 2008:


For the next card, I chose a pretty stylized swirl tree from Stubby Stampers and repeated it 3 times on the card using two coordinating inks. With a clear crisp design, this card is easy to reproduce multiple times without too much hassle.


Trees as a Background Element

The repetition in the above card made me think of making a card with trees as a soft backdrop. Of course, once I completed my two backgrounds, I decided that they needed little embellishment and no additional images.

Still in a green mode, I chose a beautiful evergreen bough from my Snowy Woods set from Artistic Outpost. I stamped the image in several different shades of green on a white panel, rotating the bough each time to get good coverage. I cut the panel into squares and mounted on coordinating cardstock. For this card, all that was needed was a simple sentiment also from Artistic Outpost.


For a more modern look, I pulled out this great "Soul Tree" from Rubber Soul. Its simplicity makes it a wonderful image for backgrounds. I stamped it severl times in blues on a white panel and then divided the panel into thirds. I added a vibrant bow and I was done! Talk about quick and easy!


As I had gotten away with not using any designer paper on the last couple of cards, I turned to some fabulous double-sided paper I got last year called Merry Christmas Sentiments from Karen Foster. I love the tiny trees and the bright colors in this paper. I paired it with a fun and funky image from Pink Cat Studios Digi division so still one image! I colored the image with coordinating colors using my copic markers and voila! another quick and easy card!


Are Trees Ageless?

Well, of course, trees don't fit a particular time period or look but their images definitely can. I went very traditional with this outstanding image from Artchix and this fun Debbie Mumm paper from Creative Imaginations. To add some texture while mantaining an almost monochrome look, I used some green ruche from PaperTemptress. Four brads later and I was done!


If you like Modern or retro, take a traditional tree, like this one from Penny Black, and jazz it up with some wild paper and an off-beat color! This tree is definitely in the pink!






We hope you play along with us in keeping ahead of the calendar and getting those holiday cards done! You'll still have all that baking to do, but at least your cards will be complete and ready to go by November. We've added a linky to this post, so you can share your tree cards with the Gingersnap community! The linky will be open until our next edition of Holiday Happenings on October 25th.

If you want more general ideas for holiday cards, check out my blog, Ill Tempered Ink, where I usually devote a month each year to making Christmas and Chanukah cards.

Remember - keep them simple and keep them coming!

7 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous selection of cards!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection of wonderful Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic assortment of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now thats what I call a lot of trees, all terrific cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiration. I have been promising to start my Christmas Cards for ages and now I'm really, really, really going to start. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new tree for me!!!

    http://wwwpeggysamusement.blogspot.com/2010/10/gingersnapcreations-trees.html
    I will try later to link up, right now, no can do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the DT's "Tree" samples. They are all so original. Each person had a different view of the theme.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin