Saturday, September 4, 2010

September Muse: Lucy Edmondson

It is our pleasure to introduce Lucy Edmondson as our September Muse. Lucy creates show stopping altered art pieces, jewelry, cards and gorgeous mixed media creations. She is a true artist and we are so fortunate that she will be joining us in September.

Lucy is a member of several design teams and many of you will recognize her as a frequent contributor to Craft Stamper. As well as Craft Stamper, Lucy's work has been published in Crafts Beautiful and Making Gifts Magazine.

We hope you enjoy getting to know a little bit more about Lucy and see a sampling of her work. You can drool over more of her creations on her blog, True Colors.


Q: How long have you been creating art?

A: Not very long really. Probably about six years ago when I started making cards, but once I discovered rubber stamping, I became hooked!


Q: Are you on any design teams?

A: Yes, The Artistic Stamper, The Altered Element, and Imagination Crafts. The three companies specialize in quite different but complementary products to one another, but what they have in common is they are run by three amazingly talented women!


Q: Tell us about your favorite creation.

A: It is difficult to choose one as I have never made anything I am completely happy with. I have chosen this Artist Palette wall hanging as it was the first item I uploaded when I started my blog one year ago.

Q: What inspired the piece?

A: I saw some wooden artist palettes in my local pound (dollar) store and thought they would be perfect for a wall hanging with an artist theme.


Q: Why type of piece is it - how did you make it, what size is it?

A: It’s a traditional artist palette size, about 10 ins across, and I cut a piece of patterned paper to fit it, then stamped a selection of Artistic Stamper Artist Plate stamps and background stamps on it, then made a dinky Mona Lisa rubber stamped canvas, popped it on a tiny easel, and then added some splodges of paint straight out of the tubes.


Q: Why is it your favorite?

A: Probably because I felt it was an Altered Art item and this was something new to me but a direction I wanted to go in. Subsequently I was lucky enough to get a place on the design team for the Altered Element and this has challenged me to push my imagination in this direction, and try to think of the possibilities for any item I come across.


Q: What is your favorite technique and why?

A: I love to stamp on tissue paper. I first learnt this technique at a workshop with Crafty Individuals a few years ago, where we used small pieces of tissue paper, but I like to map out a whole design on tissue as that way I can be sure I am happy with it before I apply it to the item. I recently did a tutorial on this technique for the new Artistic Stamper Creative Team Blog.


Q: Name your three favorite tools that you couldn't live without

A: A good selection of stamps, Distress Inks, and my Cuttlebug.


Q: What are three favorite supplies and why are they essential to you?

A: I am obsessed with Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint! I have tried other versions but I always come back to this. I love the way it takes colour whether it is sponged or sprayed on, especially shimmer products. I also love Stampbord as it is so solid to work with and you get such crisp stamped images. Also, although I like to sometimes make my own background papers, I could never give up all the droolable papers on the market. I love to just look at them and stroke them! My current favourites are the Tim Holtz Lost and Found paper stack.

Lucy will share with us two tutorials this month - September 6th and September 17th - don't miss them!

8 comments:

  1. Great interview, Lucy,, nice to learn more about you:))welcome to the world of Gingersnap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your interviews with your monthly muses, it is nice to learn what makes other crafters tick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see my good friend Lucy here as your muse! She's so talented & always inspires me to try something new! I have the double slide mount piece at the top of your post, & it's even more stunning IRL! Great interview Lucy! Looking forward to seeing your tutorials here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice to meet Lucy. Great art too.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Lucy! Great interview. Lucy is such a talented person and her work is absolutely exceptional. Looking very much forward to Lucy's tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She didn't mention that she makes a brilliant bread and butter pudding using her heat tool, lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what great art you have done congrats on being this months muse a lovely tutorial on stambord ....will give it a go
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the lovely comments, everyone. I had forgotten til Jack mentioned it that I had used my heat tool to brulee a bread and butter pudding - will have to find the photo and pop it on my blog!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin