Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spice Up Your Storage! - A Tutorial by Lucy Edmondson

As soon as I saw this wooden spice rack in my local charity shop, I knew I wanted it for my craft room wall, to hold my re-inkers and those lovely apothecary-style Distress Ink bottles! If you are anything like me, the wall in your craft space is the only bit left, before we start hanging stash from the rafters!



I was going for a sort of hand painted kitchen look, and if I had a chance to re-do my kitchen this is what I would go for!

What you will need:-


  • Spice Rack

  • Ink Pads or Brush Markers

  • White Gesso

  • Pale Yellow Acrylic Paint

  • Sandpaper

  • Wild Flower Rubber Stamps

  • Crackle Stamp

Start by sanding off any rough bits.




Paint with white gesso.




Paint with a couple of coats of pale yellow acrylic paint.




Ink up the crackle stamp with several toning colours and stamp all over the spice rack.




To get into awkward place, take the stamp off the acrylic block and wrap it round your hand.





Ink up the stems with green ink (at least two shades of green looks more natural) and the flowers themselves in a range of colours. You may find brush markers or tear-drop shaped ink pads easier.




Stamp flowers all over the spice rack, doing some secondary stamping
(without re-inking) to add depth. Huff if needed.







Sand back to the gesso in places, for a distressed look.



17 comments:

  1. what a great find and what a brill. job you have done creating a new piece of art as well as storage.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like it. Thanks for the tutorial. Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea and beautifully done, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and use of an orphan item. Of course I gave mine to the thrift store long ago. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  5. love what you have done with the rack.. so pretty . Thanks for showing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this project! Definitely one to keep as a must do..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful & such a lovely idea Lucy! Great tutorial too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea, and a great tutorial! I find that when my stuff is out of sight, it can be out of mind, too. The spice rack idea for reinkers, stickles, alcohol inks is perfect for keeping these things out and accessible, and I love how you've altered it! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. I have one of those just waiting for a makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great project. I am kicking myself 'cause I'm sure I passed up a few of these this garage sale season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic project, it looks great. Thank you so much for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely storage idea, thanks for the instructions

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a clever idea.. Do you think my husband would notice if I stole the spice rack out of the kitchen??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely idea, I also have one of those racks stuffed into my closet somewhere, now I know what I can make when I find it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin