Sunday, September 12, 2010

Suzanne Brookfied - My First Tutorial: Triple Embossing

Hello, as a Guest Design Team member this is my tutorial, it's my first ever tutorial and, to be honest, I am slightly nervous. I have being giving it a lot of thought and, trying to keep in with this month's focus on Mosaic Tiles, I have decided on triple embossing. Now, I know triple embossing has been around for ages but with all the new products and techniques that are always coming out to tempt us Crafters, its easy to forget the once loved older techniques - so as it is a favourite of mine, triple embossed enamel tiles it is then. A tile can be really effective on a card, ATC or layout.

Equipment Needed:



  • Card/Canvas

  • Versamark Ink Pad

  • Ultra Thick Embossing Powder (UTEE) - I have used clear but you can get different effects

  • Heat Gun

  • Mountboard, cardboard or very thick card

  • Image

  • Metallic paints optional
Instructions

  • Adhere your stamped image/sticker to either the mountboard, carboard or very thick card, ensuring that all edges are well stuck down. If not using a sticker, double sided tape or glue stick is fine to use.



  • Ink the "tile" up with the Versamark ink pad.



  • Immediately cover with UTEE (I put my UTEE in a food container so it's easier to cover your work).



  • Using a pokey tool or tweezers to hold your tile secure (using a heat resitant mat or tile to protect your surfaces) melt the embossing powder with your heat gun.



  • Once melted quickly cover with UTEE and repeat the heating process. The clue is in the name ...you have to do this at least three times though I do find you may need an extra covering of UTEE and extra heating to give you a thick liquid top.



  • The liquid dries really quickly and will give you a shiny enamel tile appearance, which is very hard and smooth to the touch.
Alternative


  • Using a piece of mountboard, cardboard or very thick card, cover with Versamark and follow the steps above to the point where you have a thick liquid finish.



  • Whilst still a liquid quickly press a wood backed stamp (do not use your acrylic stamps, as it may damage them) into the liquid to give a debossed image of your stamp.


  • To provide colour or alter the colour, rub metallic paint over the image with your finger.



You could make a pendant but remember to pierce your hole before inking and embossing. Here, I have simply placed my "tiles" onto two very simple cards as the main feature is the tile.





I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and I hope this inspires you to dig out your Versamark and UTEE from the back of your cupboard. I would love to receive your comments.........Many thanks, Suzanne x

28 comments:

  1. Wow !!I love this tutorial!!I didn't know there were so many fun things one could do with UTEE!Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great tutorial, love the different ideas esp. the one using the stamp and metallic paint....brill
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great technique to use and a great tutorial you have put together. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is one great tutorial hun,really easy to follow too hugs cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good sometimes to go back to the basics. Your tiles look fab. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your projects and great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love UTEE and have made many 'tiles' in the past, but as you said old techniques get forgotten,. thanks for such a great tutorial reminding me of an old favourate -off to have a play immediately! Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne, this is a very good tutorial! I had forgotten about making tiles with this technic. Your right sometimes the "old" basic are fun to come back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tutorial, you had absolutely nothing to be nervous about, wonderful results. Lynne M

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful and clear, I can do this!!!
    thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the wonderful tutorial; the directions were very clear and the photos are an extremely helpful visual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful projects! Very inspiring, and a great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the tutorial. The effect of the triple embossing looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done great with your tutorial! I have learnt some extra ideas and you have really made me want to do this technique again, using your tips. Thank you so much,

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on your tutoral. I especially like the debossed part. I will have to try that. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial, thanks. Love the cards you've made too. Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is awesome! Suzanne, thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I can't wait to try this technique. You explained it all so well, and the results you got are Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab technique and loving the Rub n Buff over the top...FAB idea! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great, thanks for the inspiration! I bought my metallic paints years ago and was trying to describe them to someone the other day. And VOILA! There they are!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Trankyou for a great tutorial... Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this look and thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great first tutorial!!! You are a natural!!! I love this technique but have never tried debossing so that will be next on my to-do list!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Terrific tutorial! Your photos illustrate everything so perfectly, and I love your finished projects - I think you've got a bright future in tutorial writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful project. I love tutorials. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin