Saturday, October 16, 2010

Spookplastic! -by Jennie

Here in the UK, Halloween is a day of witches, and pumpkin carving, and of children knocking on doors trick and treating, and it has never been a very big occasion. However with the introduction of the range of Tim Holtz's Halloween dies and embossing folders, I have felt more drawn to using them as part of Halloween, and even beyond that. I love his witch die, and as soon as I saw it knew that it would work perfectly with Shrink Plastic. I have used it with a Inkjet printable shrink plastic , which means that you can use any ink on it at all.
I die cut the shapes, using the cat and bird and even the little bat. If you want to hang them like I did on a necklace , then make sure you punch a good size hole in them before you shrink. The plastic is likely to crack if you do it afterwards.


I coloured the pieces up with Black and Copper Dabbers, and this gave it a very textured look when shrunk. Make sure you paint both sides. I actually heated them up with a gentle type heat gun, otherwise they blow away, across the desk and onto the floor!! To keep them within reach , try putting them in anon stick baking tray to avoid the blowing away. In truth I should tell you to heat them in an oven, as per the instructions as this will give you an overall shrink rate too.


I added them to a lace chain with jump rings, and voila a spookyplastic necklace!


Happy Halloween!
Jennie

13 comments:

  1. what a great idea! they look fabulous!!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabby idea! Must get some of that shrinky stuff :)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea, Jennie- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous, Jennie, and I love the necklace you've created with them. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fabulous Jennie, love it, just right for Halloween girls birthday present....!! even an old one like me.........
    Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. how what a neat idea! I can't wait for my daughter to get home today...she will want to make some herself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic. Thank you for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is terrific, so original and such a good idea to use shrink plastic, one of my favourite mediums,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling necklace and a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jennie...great tutorial and looks like lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is adorable!! Such a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous idea Jennie. Just love the spooky look. Must give this a go as I came across my shrink plastic during a stash sort out last week.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin