Saturday, November 6, 2010

Technique Workshop: String Background

Welcome to our new feature on Gingersnap Creations called Technique Workshop. Our archives are filled with dozens of great tutorials written by our talented Design Team and guest artists. Each month, we will revisit one of these posts and put it back in the spotlight.

Artwork by Ali Manning

As we are focusing on the art of sewing this month, I chose Jo Capper-Sandon's String Tutorial to start us off. Jo created some fabulous backgrounds by wrapping card stock with string and spraying them with paint. I am delighted to welcome back our two October Visiting Artists, Annette Goatley and Daniele Haddon, who joined in the fun and created projects using this technique.

For the tag I created above, I wrapped a tag with yarn and sprayed it with pink, red and bronze Glimmer Mist.



For my second piece, I used rick rack and again sprayed it Glimmer Mist.



Once dry, I stamped the piece and cut it down to fit onto another tag.

Artwork by Ali Manning

Annette created these ingenious napkin holders from toilet roll tubes (love that recycling!). The background for the holder on the right was created per Jo's original tutorial with string and Adirondack Color Wash spray. The background for the blue one (left) was created using twigs, plasterers tape and Adirondack Color Wash spray. What a great idea!


Artwork by Annette Goatley

Daniele created this stunning Christmas card using Mohair and Glimmer Mists - I just love the texture that this creates.


Align CenterArtwork by Daniele Haddon


I hope you've been inspired to revisit Jo's String Background Tutorial. If you create something with this technique, leave a link in the comment section - we'd love to see your artwork!

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I'm thinking of trying to make some ATC's (haven't got up the courage yet!)This technique would make great backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely suprise to see the revisit! Wonderful examples here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love string background! Fab tags, Ali! Wonderful variation to use rickrack! Awesome!

    Love the napkin rings, Annette! Truly inspired! Daniele, your Christmas card is amazing - love the softness of the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great expansion of the original tutorial. I've tried this technique with rubber bands. I like how this time you incorporated the textiles for our November theme. The napkin rings are a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful idea. I'm going to try this technique in one of my next projects. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these ideas - will have to give the string tutorial a try!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies, you've outdone yourselves. The tutorial and the art work are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are all gorgeous! I love the gradient of color on the bookmarks, the clever napkin holders (will use that idea!), and the beautiful Christmas card. What great results for not too much fussing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin