Friday, December 10, 2010

Jo Capper-Sandon - 'Painting' with Bleach

It's that time again when no doubt a handy little tip on putting together those last minute quick but very effective Christmas, winter Birthday and thank you cards comes in useful. ...And hopefully that's where I come in ...DA-DAAAAAAAAA! It's Jo and her magic paint brush! :0)

There are two ways of going about this really. Single cards or a masterboard. My top tip as a 'bleach beginner' would be to create a masterboard (a large sheet you can cut up to suit your cardmaking needs) as you really need to experiment with mark making to see what happens and then use 'the best bits'.

The whole process reminds me of those 'Magic Painting' books I had as a child, when you paint a 'blank' page with water and suddenly an image appears- only this is in reverse lol, your colour magically disappears .

1. First of all, cover your working area in old newspaper and a plastic sheet (aka bin bag). If working in a small room make sure you have some ventilation as some bleach can be a bit whiffy.

2. Cover a large sheet of white paper or card with a couple of Distress inks. Just turn over the pads and rub them all over the paper. Its that simple.

2. Fold a few sheets of kitchen paper/kitchen tissue into a 'wad', cut into quarters and place into an old bowl, creating a pad. Add bleach.


3. Begin to mark-make. This can be anything you like.... I used sequin waste as a stencil (interestingly, the bleach seeps underneath and instead of bleached dots you get a sequin waste impression)....

...you could stamp (remembering to clean your stamps afterwards)...

...paint directly onto the paper with the bleach...

...use crumpled tissue or paper to create a bleached away texture or splatter the bleach with a brush (please be careful when waving your bleach loaded brush around like a Harry Potter cast member with a wand...shouting EXPELLI-ARMUS doesn't get bleach marks off carpets or heal eyes!!)...

Whatever you decide on, this is where you come into your own and have a really good few minutes experimenting, seeing what works for you and what doesn't.

4. Decide on the section of your masterboard that you wish to use and glue and cut to fit your card. Using black STAZON ink (this doesn't disappear) stamp your image. I used Chilly the snowman by Stampotique. With your brush loaded with more bleach, paint over your stamped image. This removes any unwanted background colour, leaving you with a clean image.

5. Add your finishing touches- a word stamp, any extras, a touch of white glitter here and there and you're done!

I hope you find some time to try this out either before the holiday period or sometime in the new year. It's a really good exercise in loosening up and experimenting for those that are possibly a little nervous about freeing up their style or even just spending time away from all the Christmas/New Year chaos having a 'play'.

Below you can see a couple more of the pieces I put together using this masterboard, and I STILL have plenty left!







Please don't hesitate to contact me for any info re the above or for details on stamps used.

For ANOTHER card design using bleach, please visit my blog, although it's a sad post that I write.

And if I don't 'see' you there, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Christmas/Holiday time. Make the most of it, don't wish it away.

Jo Capper-Sandon x

25 comments:

  1. Jo
    Just awesome Thanks for a fab tutorial. Love the crow with the mistletoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting indeed. I wanted to do the dreaded H*******k at the weekend, but now I think I NEED to do this far more.....Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, Jo. I have seen many a card made with the bleach technique but never so beautifully or effectively. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous...thanks for a great tute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as helen said, I've seen bleach cards before, heck I've even stamped with bleach myself, but never have I seen any as beautiful as these! it makes me want to get the bleach out and have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tutorial. The results of you bleach painting are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial and fabulous results, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab tutorial - thank you for taking the time to share. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so totally cool and something I want to try.... when my young son is napping because he loves my ink and paint brushes as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tutorial Jo!! Your projects are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice bleach masterboard. I like the idea of making one big sheet, rather than doing individual cards. Thanks for sharing.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea!
    and I love your examples...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely magical ... can't wait to try it ... your projects are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What gorgeous projects, Jo! You've gotten such beautiful effects with the bleach, must be the wizarding spells, LOL! Great idea to do the masterboard, that way only one set of clothing gets.... uhmmmm... a new pattern, LOL! Beautiful tutorial, thanks so much for sharing your talents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tried the bleach technique on cardstock and depending on the cardstock sometimes it doesn't work. This is beautiful and I think you will have quite a few of us trying your tutorial out this weekend. Thank you for taking the time to show us. Love the sequin waste effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ive never tried the bleach before. This was VERY informative and I cant wait to try it!! :) GReat tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous tutorial. I always wanted to try bleach and now with your teaching I have the courage to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowza! such a gorgeous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A brilliant tutorial Jo! I love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally gorgeous, i just adore your snowman, he's on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the wonderful, detailed tutorial. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you everyone for such wonderful comments x I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial and, if you try it out, I hope its a success.

    ReplyDelete
  23. fab. tutorial & the 1st. time visiting; I'm imppressed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin