Monday, January 10, 2011

Stephanie Severin: Coffee Filter Flowers Tutorial

The great thing about coffee filters is that they absorb all kinds of inks and sprays wonderfully. They are also thin enough that you can create multi-layer embellishments without lots of bulk.

To make my coffee filter flowers, I started by spraying several coffee filters in my spray box (a long narrow box with the top cut away that I line with a piece of paper for all of my messy spraying and inking).

I start with the lighter shades and then move to the dark. This one has Memories Mists in Orange Juice and Strawberry Daquiri, Inkadinkado Terra Cotta Spray Ink and Oriental Poppy Glimmer Mist. When they are fully saturated, I remove them from the box onto scrap paper to try. Usually there's enough ink left on the scrap paper at the bottom of my spray box, that I can ink up another coffee filter by rubbing it around in the inky puddles.

These can be dried gently with a heat gun, but I usually do this right before going to bed, so they can dry naturally overnight.

The next step is to run the dyed coffee filters through my die cut machine using various floral die cuts.

For this project I also did a second round of filters using Mango Lemonade Memories Mists, Adirondack Butterscotch Color Wash, a little Terra Cotta Walnut Ink, and Perfect Copper Perfect Pearls Mists.

After I finished die cutting, I sprayed the flowers very lightly with water and wadded them up repeatedly to distress them a bit. You have to be a bit gentle, but they are much stronger than tissue or other thin paper.

The next step was layering the flowers. I alternated colors and shapes until I got a mix that I was happy with. I attached them all with a pearl brad that I painted with some of the color wash that was leftover in my spray box. I also sprayed the background paper with the Copper Perfect Pearls Mist for an all-over sparkle.
I also found the leaves for my flower at the coffee shop ... recycled cardboard cup-holder sleeves (forgive the very well-used paper cutting surface).

I ran them through my die cut machine and shaped them for the flower leaves.
Now go forth and spray and ink and scrunch and die cut those coffee filters ... can't wait to see what you create.

21 comments:

  1. Very cute! Being an avid coffee drinker and crafter, coffee filters are always a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely idea, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea! I can't wait to give it a go. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers, love the vibrant colors you've achieved! I love spraying coffee filters, there's just something about them - the texture is great, and as you said, so much sturdier than tissue or crepe. Fab tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Stephanie, this looks like a wonderful technique to try, I love how yours turned out. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers look beautiful! I haven't tried this technique before. Better get a move on it huh?! Thanks for sharing with us!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea and beautifully written tutorial.I guess I'll have to drink coffee now.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your layered flower! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. Your flower is absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific demo Stephanie...now all I need is some coffee filters... Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tutorial! I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love this idea. I have heard of this but never tried it. I wonder if Twinkling H2o's would work?I don't have a lot of spray inks so maybe I could make up something? Beautiful tutorial. Love your lush colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantastic tutorial and beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GORGEOUS!!!! I love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flower is gorgeous, the colours so vibrant. Thanks for sharing the project and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!

    Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

    Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly
    http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin