Saturday, January 29, 2011

Technique Workshop: Gilded Paper Revisited with Sharon

As our regular readers know, our archives are filled with fabulous tutorials by our Founding Femmes, the glorious Gingers, our Monthly Muses and our Special Guests! While we love to bring your brand-new tutorials, it is also fun take a second look at some of the amazing ones that have already been posted!

This month, with our focus on "hot" techniques, I decided to take up Debby Boltman's awesome tutorial on Gilded Paper which originally appeared on the blog on December 26, 2009. When I first saw it, I was delighted with the fabulous and rich look this technique gave to simple cardstock.


Debby used a fantastic combination of kraft cardstock with gold and black embossing powders and inks. I wanted to see what other fabulous color combinations would work. With Valentine's Day on the way, I decided to start with a base of pink cardstock and accent it with red and gold.

To start, I crumpled the piece of pink cardstock and then ran some Worn Lipstick Distress Ink over the creases.

I then poured embossing powder over the cardstock, tapping off the excess. The embossing powder should stick just to your inked areas. Of course, in my studio, embossing powder seems to stick to everything!! Especially since someone...no idea who...knocked the red embossing powder over my entire work surface.

Once I had the powder in place, I heat set it with my handy dandy heat tool. I hold small pieces like this with a hemostat (mosquito forceps) that my husband gave me so I would stop burning my fingers. Tweezers or an alligator clip on a handle (like you get in chalk sets) also work exceptionally well.

Next, I recrumpled my paper to create new break lines and then flattened it out again. This time, I lightly swept gold ink over the creases.

I repeated the process of applying embossing powder, gold this time, and heat setting it. As Debby mentions in her tutorial, you want to overlap the two colors here and there and the double melt of the embossing powder creates a wonderful effect.

Once I had done this step, I wanted to soften the transition between the pink, red and gold. I lightly sponged on some Spun Sugar Distress Ink to deepen the color here and there. To finish off my piece of gilded paper, I ran my brayer over it, embossed side down, in both directions to flatten it out. Normally, I would iron a wrinkle-distressed paper, but in this instance that would remove the lovely embossing.

I cut a piece out of a music sheet to act as a backdrop, sponged Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick Distress Inks onto the surface to create a coordinating background. I stamped my image onto yet another piece of pink cardstock and embossed it with fine black embossing powder.

Stamp credit: Oxford Impressions

When you assemble a card using a piece of fabulous gilded paper, you may want to use glue dots rather than flat adhesive to compensate for the uneven surface.

I made another piece using the same color combination and used my Sizzix (yup, that really old red and white one) to cut out some hearts.


Stamp credit: Penny Black

Here are my two other color combination I tried:

Copper and Black
Stamp credits: The Artistic Stamper

Denim Blue and Silver
Stamp credits: Stampington and Inkadinkado

This technique is a wonderful way to dress up Valentines, Birthday cards and add extra sparkle to all your creations. Your turn!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely idea! Somrthing else I just need to try out before doing the housework! Well, I will probably need to clear up after doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific look, will definitely try this. Thanks for the great demo. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all fab but I particularly like the denim and silver

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great technique! They all look gorgeous, I especially love the red, black and pink, looks so hot! TFS ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, all of them! Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Thanks for posting it again. I am going to give it a try tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for re visiting this technique. It looks like fun to do. Oh the color combinations. Sounds like an all day rainy project. (I never just make one thing at a time)
    Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! For a fun variation, try it with a page of text (glossy or matte) from a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved crumpled paper - never thought to add embossing powder! I will give it a shot today. Also love that you cut the hearts from that textured paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shar, these are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm already in love with this technique! Thanks for the inspiration-- can't wait to give it a try!

    Fabulous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous background technique- love all of the samples- lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing result! It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing this technique. I'd love to try too :)

    Outi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, nice! Gonna have to try this one!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin