Monday, February 28, 2011

Jean Franks Beck: It's a Bling Thing Tutorial

Since we are getting our royal bling on this month, I thought I would show you a quick and easy technique to add bling to your cards or scrapbook layouts without paying a royal fee!  Whenever I'm at my local scrapbook store, I always pause at those beautiful rhinestone or pearl adhesive flourishes.  They come in so many colors and add such sparkle, but the price per piece always makes me walk away. So I decided to improvise with some flourish stamps, Versamark ink, and Stickles and Liquid Pearls.  I also had a little more fun with glitter and acetate, so let's get to work on this card.

First of all, the main image (from Unity Stamps) is stamped on acetate.  I did this so that when I added all my glitter, I could do it to the back side of the image instead of the front, thereby keeping any stray glitter contained and off of my recipient.  Start by stamping with StazOn or Archival Ink:
After the ink has dried, turn the image over and work on the back side.  I decided to try two methods for adding glitter to the images.  For the center butterfly, I first applied Glossy Accents, keeping slightly inside the lines and away from the edge (I assumed it would spread a little when I added glitter).
Next, I added some art glitter and allowed it to dry.
For the sake of comparison, I glittered the other two butterflies using Stickles.  I think in the end, the art glitter supplied a little more sparkle, but the Stickles were much less messy, and I had the Stickles out to make the flourishes anyway.
Now, on to the bling flourishes. Create the background for your card, then stamp your flourish or swirl stamps using Versamark or other clear emboss ink. This watermarked flourish image will be your guideline for adding the Stickles.  Use flourish stamps that are fairly simple. I used clear stamps (from Autumn Leaves) so that I could see the placement of the images.
Here's a close-up of the Versamark-stamped flourishes.

It was very difficult to capture this in a photograph, so I'm going to switch over to a plain dark purple background to show you the next steps.  I'm also going to use white Liquid pearls to make it easier to see what I'm doing.  First, here's the stamped purple background (you can see the guidelines better here):
Next, take your Liquid Pearls or Stickles (or any other similar product), and start adding dots along the swirl image.  Take a moment to practice on some scrap paper - it's quite easy once you've done it a few times.  Just remember to add your dot and pull the bottle straight up - don't move it sideways or you'll get a little dash instead of a dot.  To make a teardrop shape, add a slightly larger drop, then pull the liquid out from the center with the tip of your bottle (without squeezing).  Here's the swirl almost completed:
It may not seem so, but this goes really quickly once you get the hang of it.  It only took me a few minutes to bling up each card.  Here's a close-up of the Stickles swirl on the butterfly card:
I added little teardrops wherever the stamped flourish showed one, for a little more interest.  And I didn't let that purple background go to waste... I used the same techniques as I used for the butterfly to add some glitter to the moon and ice for this skating couple from Rogue Redhead Designs.
Easy, quick, and inexpensive!  I hope you'll give it a try as an alternative way to get some bling on!

24 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea!! LOL I am like you Jean the "real" gemstone swirls are too expensive for one card so I look and walk away too!!! I will have to try this with my swirl stamps!! Great tutorial thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have hesitated at the pearl swirls-- thinking about how hard it might be to apply. But your idea is great!! And I love your finished butterflies, I love those too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! I love using liquid pearls, too, they are very versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the TUT the butterflies look wonderful and love the swirly idea

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought to stamp an image on acetate to contain the glitter! Thanks for the tip!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous way to add sparkle! I am like you - I love those pretty flourishes in the scrapbook store but am intimidated by both the price and the application. Your method makes it easy and much more versatile as it lets me choose the style of flourish not a manufacturer. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nearly everything I need at home to make my own version of your project today! Time to rally round the troops and try it on group-style! Fun! And thanks for the great tip, tricks, etc.!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific tutorial. Will definitely try this. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a GREAT idea. I just can't see shelling out the cash for those things either. Great way to improvise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jean -

    Lovely, lovely card! What a wonderful idea! I love all the Prima bling, but it is a bit pricey. This is wonderful, can't wait to give it a try.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty idea for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had trouble getting the ink to dry properly after I stamp on acetate - but - I haven't tried Versamark. How long do you let it dry before its ready?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A brilliant idea and a wonderful technique, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the kind words, you guys! Eden, in answer to your question.... I didn't actually use the Versamark on acetate, only on the background paper. For acetate, StazOn is generally best, in that it dries really quickly. Archival Ink (from Ranger) works, too, but the drying time is much longer. You need to stamp it and set it aside for 15 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooops! I misspoke in the above answer to Eden - I *did* stamp with Versamark and then heat embossed the second card - is that what you were referring to? However, without the heating and melting of the embossing powder, I doubt the Versamark would have dried. P.S. You have to be careful with heat embossing on acetate - you need to melt the powder but not the acetate, so heat with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Jean, this is wonderful. I too don't want to pay outrageous prices for a bit of bling. I have everything here to try your tut. Thanks for the tip on using the Perfect Pearls as well.
    Off to play....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool. I just bought some rhinestones at Target that were on sale - the only way I'll buy them. This is much better because you can make them the size, color and in the design you want. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great idea, thanks for all the info, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a GREAT idea, Jean! Loved this tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. First, the card is stunning....second, what a great idea for the bling! I never can quite get my Stickles to look right....I'll have to practice some more, I guess. And the "pearls" look FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully done. Great stamp and inking. I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin