Monday, February 14, 2011

Penny Bennington: DIY Metal Charms

Have you ever wished that you could make your own metal charms? Do you like charms with words, but wished for different ones? I have a simple way to make your own charms using foil tape from the hardware store, along with supplies you probably already have: cardstock and punches.

Start by taking a strip of the tape and adhering it to a scrap of cardstock and brayering it. Use a small piece - this tape is so sticky, that if you cut too large of a piece it will stick to itself becoming a big mess and it's just easier to start over. Punch 2 pieces from the taped cardstock and 1 piece from plain cardstock and glue these together making a sandwich with the foil taped pieces on the outside and the plain one on the inside. Brayer your piece well and then use a silver leafing pen to cover the edges of your cardstock. You can use any punches that you have to create shaped charms following the same sandwich recipe.

So now that you have these cool charm blanks what can you do with them? As stampers, of course the first thing that comes to mind is stamping on them. I used StazOn, but you could easily use any ink with embossing powder, too giving a textured effect.

Here's how they look stamped...

Of course, there are more ways to embellish the charm blanks. I used metal stamps and a hammer to deboss words into them. Now you can spell out any word you'd like! To make the word stand out even more, place paint over the charm and, while it's still wet, wipe it off with a paper towel leaving the paint in the word.

Here's a close-up of how different you can make them look with just adding paint.

Here's a way that you can make an embossed charm. I used a letter diecut from cardstock (I adhered two diecuts together to give good depth), but you could also use a chipboard letter. Adhere the letter to the cardstock and then add the foil tape over it. First rub it with your finger, then use a paper stump to emboss around it. Avoid using a stylus for this step because it will tear the tape. Complete the charm as before using three pieces to create a sandwich.

You can also emboss the charm blanks by placing them inside an embossing folder and using a Cuttlebug or other type of die cutting machine. Once you have an embossed charm, you can further customize it by coloring it with alcohol inks, StazOn ink, and paint. On the inked charms, once the ink is dry, you can lightly sand the raised areas with a sanding block creating a nice silver contrast.

Here are examples of charms done this way.

You can combine any of the techniques to make a truly customized charm then just punch a hole with a Crop-A-Dile, add a jump ring, and they're ready to use!

Here are some examples where I've used them on a card, ATC's and tags.

Thanks so much for reading my tutorial and I hope you'll try making your own charms!

40 comments:

  1. Wow - what a creative and beautiful way to make charms! I just love the variety you've shown us, and your finished projects are gorgeous. Thanks for a fab tutorial, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous charms and what fab tutorial
    tfs
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant and amazing idea! Thanks so much for sharing, and for the simple, easy-to-follow instructions!

    I bet you soon see some of these around my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea, and much cheaper than using manufactured ones. All I need now is more punches... oh dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial - I'm always on the look out for inexpensive ways of making my own embelishments as can't always afford the ready made kind..thanks..off the DIY shop! Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just fabulous! I'm off to get some of that tape! Thanks so much for sharing! The results are quite stunning, and would never have guessed it was foil tape!!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. wauw, again I love them thanks for this great tutorial, best wishes Janine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, oh my I must try this. This is a fabulous tutorial. Really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant idea, Penny, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific tutorial Penny. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this great idea. I was recently wondering just why I purchased a roll of that tape ... 3 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a brilliant tutorial - thanks Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic ideas! I've had a roll of that tape in my craftroom for over a year, since it 'accidentally' got left behind when my hubby did some duct work in the attic. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great tutorial! And such fantastic ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a great idea to use foil tape! I can already imagine the money I could save making my own. And the best thing is that they will be one-of-a-kind! Awesome...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing Penny, the charms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just FABULOUS! I've been thinking about playing with this tape and now I will definitely be rummaging around in my hubby's workshop looking for some. Thanks for the tutorial. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank You so much for sharing this...I will definitely try this....
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got some of this tape--thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I much prefer handmade embellishments to those that you purchase and slap on a piece! What kind of tool is that shown in the 5th photo down, the one with the hammer in it, that you are using to make the debossed letters? Make and manufacturer?? Thanks so much for an amazing tutorial!@

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh girlfriend, you've got us all headed to the hardware store ... can't wait to play with these fabulous ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pics, I too like Linda above want to know what tool you have with the numbers.. thank you so much for sharing. Have a creative day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my - I love it - I must run out and get some foil tape and try this - thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  24. Usually I just read the posts from my inbox, but I felt compelled to comment on this post. What a wonderful tutorial! Many thanks for it and for modelling so many different ways to do this and to use a plethora of tools, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for all your comments - I'm so glad you like the idea! For Linda and Barb - my metal alpha stamps are from Making Memories,here's a link: http://www.makingmemories.com/Ideas/how_tos_detail/stamping-die-set

    ReplyDelete
  26. Penny, not sure how I missed this incredible tutorial. I have everything I need to make a few of these. What a great idea.
    Thank you for sharing these.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm already on my way to the hardware store!
    TFS, it's a great idea and your charms turned out brilliant.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Penny, this is a great tutorial--I don't use a lot of charms, so this was VERY helpful, and I paired it with Shelly's copper painting technique.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great embelishments thanks for sharing can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea! I'll have to try this, thanks for the tutorial, you are the greatest!
    www.cleverandcute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. These charms are great Penny, thanks for the variations on the theme. Great inspiration to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wouldn't just plain old beads look cool covered in aluminum tape and embossed! I will surely try this! Thanks so much,Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  33. You should make a video? I really want to learn this but I am a visual learner,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin