Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shelly Hickox - Gessoed AI Technique

The Gessoed AI technique is something I came up with a couple of years ago. At the time, I was fascinated by some of the French mixed media blogs. They had so much texture, color, and shimmer in their backgrounds and I loved it! I experimented a bit on my own and came up with this technique. It's great for those of you who are frustrated (as I am) with alcohol inks. This is virtually foolproof!

Supplies:
Cuttlebug or other embossing folder
White cardstock
Gesso
Foam brush
Adirondack alcohol inks in desired colors (I used Bottle, Meadow, and Denim)
Rubbing alcohol in spray bottle (please note: do NOT use Adirondack Alcohol Blending Solution, it is not meant to be sprayed!)
Alcohol ink applicator tool and felt
Ranger silver embossing powder
Versamark or other embossing ink pad
Heat gun

Step 1: Using a foam brush, cover white cardstock completely with gesso. It's fine to have some ridges and blobs; it adds more texture to the final product. Let dry completely.

Step 2: Squirt a few drops of your desired alcohol inks onto the felt pad. Mist the pad lightly with rubbing alcohol and begin pouncing the ink onto the gessoed surface. Continue until entire piece is covered. If the ink is not moving around the paper and blending easily, spritz the applicator felt with more rubbing alcohol. Let this dry completely (you can use a heat gun, if desired) before you move to the next step.

Step 3: Emboss your inked piece using your Cuttlebug or other embossing machine. Using your Versamark pad, ink the high points of the embossed piece. Cover with silver embossing powder and tap to remove excess. If you get too much powder on the debossed area, you can carefully brush it of with a small paintbrush.

Step 4: Emboss using a heat tool.

How easy is that? For added sparkle, you can spread a thin layer of Rock Candy Stickles on your piece, like I did on the red example. Have fun experimenting with different alcohol inks, embossing powders, and embossing folders - there are endless combinations!

37 comments:

  1. Fantastic technique, Shelly! I love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome technique... going to try this tomorrow :) thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. The effect is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab technique - NEED to put gesso on my shopping list

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Love the look of this technique! Thanks for sharing!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly, this is just gorgeous! I love the lok and will give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks like fun. You have come up with some amazing techniques. I was supposed to buy stamp cleaner with my coupon this week, I may have to buy some new alcohol inks instead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful technique and the results are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. grate technique, thank for shearing,
    Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shelly -

    Gorgeous results, fantastic technique! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work, Shelly - I can't wait to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this awesome technique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous combination of texture!! I can't wait to try it - thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh Shelly, I like this, gotta try it fer sure, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW Gorgeous thatnk for sharing I'll be having a play when I get chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much everyone! I love doing techniques and can't wait to see how everyone interprets this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow!!! I LOVE those backgrounds!!! they are gorgeous! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea A LOT thank you for sharing great tut.

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful effect!!! Thanks Shelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful. A definite must try! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool :) I've used AI's on gesso before but this takes it to another dimension :P
    Thanks for sharing
    Von x

    ReplyDelete
  23. merci, pour cette bonne idée
    biz MD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea!! Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! This is a gorgeous technique that I will definitely be trying! Thanks so much for a great, easy-to-follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial! I just used it yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shelly....this is just wonderful! You have some great techniques.....glad to see you sharing them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great technique, Shelly! I made 3 embossed images yesterday but only made one finished card. Such a quick way to create a really stunning card front. I love my alcohol inks and am always glad to find another way to use them. Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning backgrounds, the techniques create an incredibly lush looking piece - can't wait to give it a try - thanks for sharing your technique xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I actually got to try this out, and loved the results--I used clay instead of paper, and cut it into shapes!

    Thanks for the great tutorial! :)
    Here's the link:
    http://easilyamusedhardtooffend.blogspot.com/2011/03/song-in-my-heart.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Shelly,
    These pieces look absolutely wonderful. I am going to try it out today and see if I can get a result resembling yours. Thanks for sharing the great results of your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this technique! I don't have an embossing machine so I used modeling paste through a mask instead.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful backgrounds! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Years later, and it's still beautiful. TFS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin