Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gild Your Doodles by Joanne Wardle


There are lots of ways to add a metallic finish to your artwork, amongst these is gilding. Gilding can be obtained in leaf form or as, the much more cost effective version, flakes. These can be applied with any adhesive that isn't "wet", such as double sides adhesive, xyron, size, and two way glues such as the Quickie Glue pen by Sakura, these 2way adhesives go on wet (and if used immediately are permanent or if allowed to dry become a repositionable adhesive perfect for attaching gilding.)

The quickie glue pen goes on blue so you can see where you are putting it, and when it turns clear, it is no longer wet and you can attach your gilding.

The fine nib of the quickie glue pen gives you the freedom to gild your doodles,

For example, you've made a simple ATC, and it needs "something".

you will need, gilding flakes (it's always best to transfer them from the pot they came in to a larger airtight box. Be aware that they can be very floaty, so they can easily escape with a stray cough or sneeze.), quickie glue pen and a brush (as stiff as you can find) or texture sponge

Here I doodled a few lines in the corners

I allowed it to dry and then placed in my tub of copper gilding flakes. brush the flakes onto the glue until it has attached and then brush off,
be firm with you brushing, the more you brush off, the shinier it will be.




I also repeated this on white card (it's really hard to photograph the lines)


and here's the effect.

I had a further play on this piece and doodled a zentangle heart with the glue pen, and foiled as before.


one of the great benefits of this technique is that you can keep adding to it.

I missed a bit of foiling at the base of the card, so I just repeated.


I further played with this piece and inked it up with a blending tool. The foiling acted as a resist. However repeated rubbing did start to remove some of the foiling.


I also overstamped, and again the foil acted as a resist.


All of the stamps I used are from Scrolls Work and are also available from Happy daze in the UK
The gilding flakes are by Crafty notions


I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial, and I look forward to seeing your gilded doodles.

Joanne

10 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Joanne, I certainly forget about gilding, brilliant technique and I love your ATC's :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking idea Joanne

    Happy Saturday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I've always thought of gilding as a tricky process, but I could definitely handle this. Great tutorial, it makes me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great tips. I never thought about those pens working for gilding. I am going to try it. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! I will have to try this when I need to perk up a project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Joanne... I have copper flakes and wasn't sure how to adhere them... I do have a Quickie Glue Pen so that is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a brilliant idea and so effective. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't have the tools for this..but I'm so up for the chance to try it someday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool technique, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin