Monday, March 28, 2011

Helene Huber: Rubber Band Stencils

In keeping with this month's theme, World of Work, I took rubber bands (a common office supply) and used them as a stencil with various mists.

You'll see I used several sheets of thick cardboard with my paper so that the rubber bands would stay taut, preventing the mist from getting underneath them. Since we also worked on Zentangle this month, my first rubber band design was an extremely simple tangle.

I placed this inside a box and sprayed into the box. On this one I used a two step mist, Adirondack Butterscotch Color Wash, followed by Perfect Pearls Sunflower Sparkle. I'm kind of a splotchy mister, but I like the effect. After the mists dried, I removed the rubber bands to reveal my pattern.

This is the finished card: (Stampabilities Floral Stem stamp, Maya Road gem flowers, Red Lead Paperworks angel from collage sheet, gold scrap).

Here is a second card I made with a different pattern of rubber band stencils. On this one I used Maya Mist in Purple Mist that already had gold flecks in the spray. This office supply card features Petaloo flowers, paper clips, Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels, and a Stampin' Up sentiment from their Office Accoutrement set.

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a great effect that gives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea... Gotta give this a try on a project. Thank you Helene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful effect and the card is stunning.
    Smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, thank you. It inspire me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great effects with simple means!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool, I have never heard of this but it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever interpretation of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. elle est superbe
    bravoooooooooo
    md

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tutorial!!! Will have to try this. Your second card is equally wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely awesome, the effect with the rubberbands is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rubber band cards are beautiful. What an easy technique to get such beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea Helene!!! I have seen rubber bands used as stamps by wrapping them onto acrylic blocks but never as masks!!! I like how they each turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic idea - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How brilliant, thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great tutorial--such a simple idea, but one I never would have thought of trying on my own!! Thank you, Helene!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like that technique! I will definitely be tryng this ... and you can buy a bag of 100 rubberbands at Walmart for about 50c! The plain "stenciled" areas look like light beams, how appropriate for the angel card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great look, Helene, and I'm always trying to figure out different ways to use my mists. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin