Saturday, April 16, 2011

Alexa Noble: Creating Texture

Hi Everyone, this is my first tutorial for Gingersnap Creations, and I'm a little nervous!! The technique I want to show you today is how you can easily create some fantastic dimension to your projects.

I want to create a raised image of this lovely cherry blossom and birds.


For this, I use Molding Paste which you can colour using acrylic paint. I have used black as I want an oriental feel, but it would work really well with pastel shades for a springtime project.


Position the stencil on your project. You can use scotch tape, spray mount or other repositionable glue to hold it in place, but take care that these do not leave a residue behind which affects your paper surface. The larger stencils tend to be quite easy to work with as you can hold them in place on the blank areas. Using a small spatula, cover the stencil with the mixture.


When all the area is covered, carefully remove the stencil and allow to dry. You can add small embellishments at this point such as glitter or seed beads so long as you don't disturb the image. Be patient at this stage, as the paste has a long drying time!


I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and feel inspired to give this technique a try!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great technique for varying the texture unlike embossing, pretty cool. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tutorial! I have this product but never worked with it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent tutorial, Alexa! This is beautiful and looks like a fun technique to play with. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a fab tutorial. I've just got some of these stencils so I'll give this a go, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tutorial. As an FYI, if you're using this technique on a wooden box that you plan to paint afterward, you can also use tile grout. I learned that on DIY (I think) and it worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You shouldn't be nervous, this is fab! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Alexa!! It was a very clear tutorial and one that I might just have to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. You make it look so easy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous result - great technique! Your tutorial is perfect - no need for nervousness ;).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin